ZumbaTHON happening Saturday

Published: Friday, January 31, 2014

Updated: Friday, January 31, 2014 00:01

UConn ZumbaTHON

Zarrin Ahmed/The Daily Campus

In this Nov. 13, 2013 photo, students do Zumba during ZumbaTHON, a fundraiser for HuskyTHON.

UConn Recreation is hosting its third annual Zumbathon. It is happening on Saturday February 1 in the Fieldhouse from 12 to 4 p.m.

“The Bodywise fitness program is hosting Zumbathon.We will be taking over the Field House for a Four Hour Non-Stop Zumba Party,” according to a Zumbathon flyer.

Because the Bodywise program runs Zumbathon, it is similar to a Zumba class but for four hours instead of one.

“Zumbathon is a four hour dance party. Over the course of the four hours, eight instructors will be teaching different [dance] routes,” said Ashlee Shaw, instructor at Zumbathon.

The different dance routines vary from instructor to instructor. However, at Zumbathon, the most important thing is for participants to have a good time.

“For every song we have a dance route and participants will dance along with us, however they see fit. Zumba is just about moving and having fun,” stated Shaw.

Zumbathon is also a fundraiser. The proceeds go towards HuskyTHON.

“Zumbathon [is] a fitness marathon that benefits UConn’s HuskyTHON and the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center,” stated the Bodywise website.

There is a five-dollar fee to get into Zumbathon but the money will be going towards the Bodywise’s team for HuskyTHON.

“Bodywise is its own team for Huskython and it is one the events that Bodywise and Recreation center puts together for Huskython. So all of the money that people pay goes towards Huskython,” said Shaw.

Zumbathon is a great way to get ready for the 18-hour dance Marathon, HuskyTHON.

“It could be a really practice session because HuskyTHON, your dancing and moving around for 18-hours. It’s considered a four-hour practice run, ” said Shaw.