Pagans to show pride on Saturday

Published: Thursday, October 3, 2013

Updated: Thursday, October 3, 2013 23:10

This Saturday, the Pagan Organization for Diverse Spirituality will host its 2nd annual Pagan Pride Day on Fairfield Way in front of the Student Union from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

This event will open with a ritual, and will feature a presentation about LGBTQ acceptance in pagan religions by UConn alumna Heather Richter. There will also be a presentation about rest and rejuvenation by the Rev. Karen of the Shrine of the Universal Dance.

Richter will also be performing a public harvest ritual, and UConn’s Capoeira Club will be presenting a Brazilian martial arts performance.

Vendors at the event will include Power Tools, Indigo Intuitives, Anja Jasmin Originals, Petrolito & Grasso Crafts, Five Dolphin Dreams and Charter Oak Grove. These vendors will be selling tools and materials for rituals, incense and jewelry.

“Our goal is to educate the masses and have fun,” said PODS secretary Bianca Cerio, a 5th-semester psychology major. “We want people to come together and learn about different pagan religions.”
Paganism is not a specific religion, and usually has more than one diety. Pagan religions are based upon nature or on beliefs in supernatural powers that control human destiny.

The event is free to the public, but both monetary and material donations will be accepted for the Connecticut Humane Society.