Pro Side

Pelicans’ Davis expected out 4-6 weeks with hand injury

Published: Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 23:12

After a great start to the season, No. 1 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft Anthony Davis suffered a fractured left hand on an alley-oop play in the first quarter against the New York Knicks.

The star power forward will be out for an extended period of time and will be required to wear a heavy cast on his hand.

This comes as a huge blow to the Pelicans roster as Davis was having a break-out season, averaging a double-double with 19.6 points per game and 10.6 rebounds per game. Davis was also leading the league in blocks per game with 3.9 blocks per game.

The Pelicans do have other pieces that can pick up for the loss of Davis. New Orleans acquired Jrue Holiday during the off-season, trading away their first round pick Nerlens Noel. The Pelicans also added Tyreke Evans from the Sacramento Kings in a three-team deal that sent center Robin Lopez to the Portland Trail Blazers.

Holiday and Evans were both selected in the 2009 NBA Draft and have been relied on by their former teams for scoring. Holiday was an All-Star for the 76ers last season while averaging 17.7 points per game.

Evans has averaged more than 15 points per game during each of his seasons with the Kings. Evans’ scoring has dropped to 12 points a game during this season, but it looks like he will need to pick up to the scoring once again.

Of course, the Pelicans can also rely on their returning stars, Ryan Andersen and Eric Gordon.

Andersen has been a proven 3-point shooter in the league and has taken just under eight 3-pointers per game. He currently leads the team with 22.6 points per game, but expect that to drop as teams will no longer have to double team Davis in the post and can contest his threes.

The Pelicans sit just outside of the playoff hunt by one game. With Davis out, they will be forced to adjust or drop back down into the NBA Draft Lottery.