Pro Side: Patrick Kane overcomes death in the family for two goal game

Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 23:02

Pregame can be one of the most crucial parts of an athlete’s ritualistic day. Justin Verlander likes to eat Taco Bell, while Red Sox great Wade Boggs used to enjoy chicken. Either way, preparing for the game and getting in the right mindset is key for athletic success.

Tragedy struck Patrick Kane and his family Monday when Kane’s grandfather, Donald, passed away. Kane was notified of his grandfather’s death just before the game against the Los Angeles Kings on Monday, but decided to play nonetheless. Kane was very close with his grandfather, as he lived next door to him as a child.

Despite his grief, Kane was able to put on a show Monday with a two-goal performance.

Kane’s first goal came with only 62 seconds ticked off the clock in the first period. With the Blackhawks on the power play, Kane received the puck from the right boards on the goal line, approached the net, deked out the goaltender and sent the puck between the goaltender’s legs to give the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead.

But, Kane was not finished.

The Blackhawks found themselves on a three-on-one rush with Kane controlling the puck, careening up the left wing. Kane sent the puck to teammate Bryan Bickell, picking up the assist as the Blackhawks took a 2-0 lead with 11:16 left in the first period.

Kane still was not finished.

With the Blackhawks leading 4-2 in the third period, Patrick Sharp stole the puck along the right boards and approached the goal with only a man to beat as Kane rushed up the left side. Sharp was met with Kane’s stick as Kane beat the goaltender for his second goal and third point of the game.

After the game, Kane commented on his grandfather’s passing.

“You think about it a couple of times on the bench, but I was just trying to focus on the game tonight,” Kane said. “Just play well for him, I guess.”