Pro Side: Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch signs with Skittles

Published: Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 22:01

With the Super Bowl rapidly approaching this Sunday, most of the media attention has been paid to the abrasive comments made by Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, but there is a far sweeter story to this year’s big game.

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has just signed a deal with Skittles, his favorite candy, which will allow him to endorse the product.

The candy company paid homage to their new relationship with the Pro Bowl caliber running back with a line of “Seattle Mix” Skittles that only includes Skittles of the color green and blue, the Seahawks team colors.

Lynch’s love of Skittles dates back to when he was just a boy playing recreation football. His mother would give them to him during games under the nickname “power pellets”.

Lynch’s love for the candy has extended into the NFL as he can often be seen snacking on the candy on the sidelines. Fans of the Seahawks, dubbed the “12 man”, have found a fun way to get in on the Skittles frenzy and have begun showering Lynch in Skittles after he crosses the end zone for a touchdown.

In 2010, Lynch was fined $10,000 for wearing cleats that actually featured images of tiny Skittles on the outer sole of the cleat. The cleats were found not to be in accordance of league uniform policy.

Lynch is the first athlete to ever be sponsored by Skittles, however he is not the first candy sponsored athlete.

Last January, Raven’s quarterback Joe Flacco signed a one year endorsement with Haribo, the company that makes Gold-Bears gummy bears, after being photographed eating the bears.

Skittles will make a $10,000 donation to Lynch’s Fam First Foundation, which seeks to empower and enrich children of the Bay Area, for each touchdown he scores in Sunday’s game.

The Seattle Seahawks running back has proven the old myth wrong, as for him there truly is no such thing as too much sweets.