Rapper Big Sean gives short and sweet concert in Jorgensen

Published: Friday, January 31, 2014

Updated: Friday, January 31, 2014 01:01

Big Sean

JESS CONDON/The Daily Campus

After a great opening act by Connecticut Native J.B. Aliyu, Rapper Big Sean took the stage at the Jorgensen Center.. He performed his own hits as well as covers from other artists.

Prior to the opening act, the DJ of the night performed a more than hour-long set with a combo of EDM, hip-hop, and dance music—all infused with heavy bass and a lot of energy.

Big Sean’s opening act, a Connecticut native, was J.B. Aliyu—an up and coming, young rap artist. Aliyu performed a generous set with a variety of clever bars atop some diverse beats, his flow fast-paced and upbeat. With more than enough homage paid to Jay-Z and other classics in the game, J.B. made it clear who’s inspired him in the making of his art. Just 21, Aliyu has released quite a bit of material. His new mixtape “Popular II” can be found on HotNewHipHop, as well as his first project, “Popular,” via iTunes.

Big Sean hit the stage at around 9:05 p.m., his arrival long-awaited and the crowd boisterous. He opened with his classic, club-worthy banger “Dance (A$$)”, which set the tone for his hyped performance. Continuing with some material from his early album, Finally Famous, the Detroit-born rapper reminisced on his start in the hip-hop industry while covering his classic hits from just four years ago.

He remixed several songs and reintroduced some collaborations with other hip-hop artists. One of these was the newer hit, “Beware,” which otherwise features vocalist Jhene Aiko and fellow rapper Lil Wayne. This was the highlight of Big Sean’s set, with slightly gloomy lyrics and a haunting melody that any contemporary hip-hop fan recognized.

Sometime during the middle of his performance, the rapper introduced a special guest to the audience at the Jorgensen: his own mom. With appreciation and a big hug, he attributed his success in the music industry to her constant love and support.

Following this very sweet introduction, Big Sean continued the show with “Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay” (originally featuring Kanye West), his chart topper from 2011. Next were his renditions of G.O.O.D Music’s summer 2012 hit, “Don’t Like” (featuring Chief Keef) and the previously stated label’s “Clique”. These were the two hits that seemed to resonate with the student crowd the most, bringing on crowd surfing and item-throwing on stage (both quickly halted by security).

Additionally, Big Sean intertwined some Drizzy with his performance, creating his own version of “All Me,” one of Drake’s top hits from his winter 2013 album, Nothing Was The Same.

The concert was slightly short, but altogether satisfying for any true Big Sean fan in the audience.