Residential Life avoids housing shortage for spring semester

Students that have eight semesters or more will not have access to the housing application

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 22:12

Following a fall on-campus housing shortage scare, Residential Life is able to house all students in the spring who are guaranteed housing.

“Transfer students, new exchange students and new freshman will all have access to housing for the spring,” said Interim Director of Housing Services, Amy Crim.

For the fall semester, the university received 500 more housing applications than anticipated and the department had to accommodate these students.

“For us we housed everyone that needed housing. All of our freshmen and transfer students – we house them all. We were even able to dive into the waiting list,” Crim said.

As for the spring semester Crim said that housing is already taken care of will be available to all those who are eligible and in need of it.

“In the spring we’re fine. We have about 200 new students and by new students I mean new freshman and transfer students. We are able to house them all. We also have about 75 exchange students,” Crim said.

During the spring semester there also may be as many as 200 open spots on campus, Crim said.

In addition to the new transfer students, freshmen and exchange students, Crim said that 100 students on the waiting list will be able to obtain housing.

“Going into the spring semester we are fine. Where some of the changes have had to happen is that we know we had a larger freshman class coming in this fall. We housed about 3,750 freshmen this fall and they are coming back,” Crim said.

To handle this inflow of students Crim said that admissions is not bringing in the same sized class next fall.

“They are still targeting their number,” said Crim of admission’s lowering of the numbers of the freshman class.

One change that Crim and her department are making is to not give students false hope about the housing they may not receive.

“We’ve had to think a lot about the waiting list,” Crim said. “We don’t want to give students false hope. In previous years we’ve allowed our entire student body to access the housing application. Students that have eight semesters or more, students who withdraw and then come back, these are students that are not going to have access to the application. We want students to be proactive and know that in December, ‘I’m not going to get on campus housing’ and start looking for an off-campus location.”

Despite this change, Crim said that transfer students are a priority for housing.

“Any transfer student that is new to campus will be on the waiting list, but our transfer students are our priority,” Crim said.