Screaming on 'Restoring Force' restores headaches

Published: Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 22:01

I must admit: “screamo” music is not my thing. Thus when first listening to Of Mice and Men’s latest album titled “Restoring Force” released on Jan 24, I was not all that intrigued. But considering this is the first time I have ever listened to the band, or even listened to the genre of “metalcore” all that closely, I would like to think it lends a fresh perspective on the band and their music.

Of Mice and Men is a relatively new band. Since its formation in 2009, the band has produced three albums including its most recent “Restoring Force.” The post-release reviews from fans seem to show a vast majority of them loving the new album and are on board with the band’s latest artistic production. The iTunes customer rating and reviews section shows that fans have rated the album at 4.5 stars out of a possible 5, plus 450 customer reviews with many positive remarks.

A great deal of reviewers made comments on the band’s new sound. Some found it refreshing and different, but others felt they were becoming “too conventional” and “completely sold out,” wrote one reviewer who went by Alex on the message board. Most all of the complaints from fans about the album seem to stem from this controversial change in sound from the band’s second album titled “Flood” to its latest album; though most fans seem to be staying true to OM&M and its music.

Personally, I did not love the album. For an introduction into this genre of music, it definitely did not win me over. The screaming lyrics were distracting, negatively affecting the quality of the music while causing most of the songs to sound exactly alike. Although the parts of the song that were actually sung were much better, I still couldn’t seem to get over the loud, intense, almost terrifying screaming verses. If I had to choose a favorite song on the album, I would say the song “Feels Like Forever” would take the cake for me. Most fans seemed to name the single “You’re Not Alone” the best on the album, though some negative reviews criticized the “simplicity of the riffs” and the “lack of dynamics or pitch in the screams,” wrote one reviewer called OM&Mfan.

Although Of Mice and Men is not my new favorite band after hearing its music, the majority of the fans seem to be happy with the new release of the album as well as complacent with the stylistic turn taken as a group. It seems like positive news for all OM&M fans out there.

5/10