Softball splits two games of Florida tournament

Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013

The UConn softball team is 2-2 to start the 2013 season after splitting four games during a tournament at Florida International University.

The Huskies were supposed to play five games over three days this weekend. But rain caused their opening game against Binghamton to be postponed after four innings and their first of two games against FIU to be cancelled completely.

As a result, the season did not begin for UConn until Saturday and it started with a 6-4 win in extra innings over Morehead State. The Huskies did most of their damage in the third inning, scoring four runs. Third baseman Lexi Gifford led the UConn offense. Gifford went 2-3 with an RBI and scored the winning run for the Huskies when shortstop Emily O’Donnell reached on an error by the Eagles’ second baseman.

Alyson Ambler got the win for UConn. Ambler allowed four runs over eight innings and finished with six strikeouts.

Later in the day, the Huskies fell 3-2 to Florida International. UConn had the lead for most of the game, but the Panthers took the lead with two runs in the bottom of the sixth to seal the win.

Left fielder Maddy Schiappa went 2-3 and drove in a run for the Huskies. Katelyn Callahan was the losing pitcher, allowing three runs over 5.2 innings of work.

On Sunday, UConn completed their rain-shortened game with Binghamton. The game resumed with the Huskies on top, but Binghamton made it close. A sixth-inning error cost Binghamton a chance at the win. UConn catcher Andrea Huelsenbeck hit the ball to Binghamton’s shortstop, who misplayed the ball, allowing Schiappa to score.

UConn’s Kiki Saveriano allowed two runs in the top of the seventh, but still got the win as Ambler came in to get the last two outs, earning her first save of the season.

UConn dropped the second game to Binghamton 5-1. Ambler was lit up during the game, allowing five runs over only 2.2 innings of work.

The lone run for the Huskies came in the fifth inning when Binghamton’s center fielder misplayed a hit by UConn second baseman Brittany Duclos, allowing Schiappa to score.

The Huskies will return to Florida next weekend for the Florida Atlantic University Strike-Out Cancer Tournament, where they will play Towson, FAU, Northern Illinois, Providence and North Florida.