After win, UConn men's swimming and diving teams head to Dartmouth

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

Coming off of a Senior Day victory over Seton Hall last Sunday, the UConn men’s swimming and diving team will travel to Hanover, N.H. this Saturday at 1 p.m. to take on Dartmouth for their first away meet since returning from winter break.

Comparing the upcoming meet to the last Sunday’s, head coach Bob Goldberg said, “This weekend is an entirely different story. They’re at least as good as we are, maybe a little better. It’s a meet that we can win if we swim aggressively and as well as we possibly can.”

The Dartmouth Big Green are coming off of a first place finish at their home invitational last weekend, and currently stand at 2-2 in dual meet action. The Huskies boosted their record to 3-2 after last Sunday and hope to keep this momentum going on Saturday.

“The team was pretty motivated last week because it was Senior Day,” said Goldberg. “So that same kind of emotion we want to take into this meet and add a little bit more focus for what are going to be some very tough and very close races.”

The Huskies will be facing a team that is their own “mirror image,” Goldberg added. He believes that the only advantages UConn may have are team depth and a slight edge in the breaststroke. All races are expected to be close, and Goldberg emphasized the need for first place finishes due to the large difference in points awarded for second versus first place.

“If you touch someone out or they touch you out, the point swing is huge and a lot of races are very very close, so whoever gets that touch will get more points for the team. Since the disparity is so much, you’re really rewarded for winning the race. We need to win some of those.”

At their last meeting, the Huskies bested Dartmouth by a score of 172 to 128, a win that was highlighted by current sophomore Sawyer Franz setting a school record in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:21.06. Franz, along with three other swimmers, won two events that day. Grant Fecteau and Tony Cortright dominated the diving platform, winning the one-meter and three-meter events, respectively.

Overall, said Goldberg, the Huskies are “excited about the opportunity to swim against a team just as good as [they are] to see how [they] do.”