Anaheim Ducks becoming 'mighty' once again

NHL Columnist

Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 00:01

Every team in professional sports has an iconic figure that comes to mind when their club is mentioned.

When one thinks of the Boston Bruins, its hard not to discuss number four Bobby Orr. The Rangers are closely associated with the ear-to-ear smile following Mark Messier’s Stanley Cup winning performance. The Oilers are defined by the Gretzky era, as the Great One is a legend in Edmonton.

Unfortunately for the Anaheim Ducks, the figure most closely associated with their franchise might just be Emilio Estevez, as the actor’s portrayal of Mighty Ducks coach Gordon Bombay resulted in the franchise’s biggest victory to date: a fictional win over Gunnar Stahl’s Team Iceland.

However, this year’s edition of the Ducks is demonstrating a talent level unseen since Keenan Thompson unleashed the knucklepuck.

The Ducks enter Tuesday night’s contest against the Winnipeg Jets with a 37-9-5 record, leaving many believing them to be the best team in the league.

What is there to argue?
Since December 4, the Ducks are 19-2, as they find themselves sitting atop the standings. They are currently third in scoring and eighth in goals against, showing that they have both the attack and defense to outclass their opponents each and every time they take the ice.

The Ducks are led by superstars Ryan Getzlaf and Cory Perry, both of whom find themselves in the league’s top-5 point scorers.

Throughout their run, Anaheim has taken out some of the league’s best as Chicago, St. Louis and San Jose, the three teams behind the Ducks in the Western Conference standings, have all been taken out during the 21 game stretch.

Anaheim has also shown a merciless side, as the 9-1 thrashing issued to Vancouver led the Canucks to turn the embarrassment of a hockey game into a good old fashioned donnybrook.

The Ducks are for real, that much is for sure. Anaheim can play with the best of ‘em, as the team has bested virtually everyone in their path.

However, memories are defined by postseason success, as the Ducks will have to unleash another 16 wins in May and June if they hope to make history.

But for now, Anaheim look to be the Stanley Cup favorites, as their current streak is finally giving people a reason to call them mighty once again.