Baseball travels to Pittsburgh for Big East game

Published: Thursday, April 5, 2012

The UConn baseball team will head to Pittsburgh to continue its Big East conference schedule this weekend.

The Huskies will look to keep pace with Louisville and South Florida, with whom they are locked in a three-way tie for first place in the conference.

At 2-4 in the conference, the Panthers are tied for seventh place in the league. Unlike UConn, which is coming off an 8-5 loss against Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Pittsburgh is in the midst of a three-game winning streak, which began last weekend in their conference series against Cincinnati, and continued with a win over Youngstown State at home on Wednesday.

Though they are coming off a loss, the Huskies have won nine of 11 coming into the weekend. Over the stretch, second baseman LJ Mazzilli and center fielder Billy Ferriter have been outstanding for UConn – including a nine for 12 weekend from Ferriter against Seton Hall in the team’s first home Big East series. The Panthers have lost five of their last eight.

Typically, Big East series’ begin on Friday and end on Sunday, but because of the Easter holiday this Sunday, the series will begin and end a day early. The two teams will begin play at 3 p.m. on Thursday, and continue the series at the same time Friday before wrapping up with a 1 p.m. start on Saturday.