BENTLEY BEATDOWN

Nine different Huskies score to beat Falcons

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

mhoc

TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus

The UConn men's hockey team beat Bentley 9-0 Monday night on the strength of nine different goal-scorers.

The University of Connecticut men’s hockey team notched two vital wins against Bentley University over the weekend to move into a three-way tie for fourth place in the Atlantic Hockey Association.

UConn scored nine goals in the second match through nine different goal scorers tallying the most goals scored by UConn since 2010.

In the opening match of the series, UConn downed Bentley in Watertown, Mass. 4-1 with two goals from Brent Harris and a 30-save performance by Matt Grogan.

It took UConn 22 minutes to break the initial deadlock as freshman Kyle Huson scored his second goal of the season and just three minutes later Sean Ambrose added UConn’s second. Later in the second Bentley pulled one goal back, which turned out to be their lone goal for the weekend.

In the third Harris added his double securing the much-needed two points for UConn.

In the second match UConn came out firing early at home and applied constant pressure to Bentley’s goal due to a five minute major penalty for boarding.

The man advantage led to a five-minute onslaught that saw UConn take a 3-0 lead and effectively end the match as a contest.

Billy Latta opened the scoring with a low wrist shot past Bentley goaltender Branden Komm, and just 30 seconds later UConn added their second as Kyle Huson got his second of the series poking a shot into the back right of the net.

Then just five seconds after the power play ending Brad Smith joined in on the act, giving UConn a 3-0 lead just nine minutes into the match.

UConn added a fourth late in the first period when Patrick Kirkland poked home Shawn Pauly’s shot that ricocheted off the post and into the top of the net.

In the second period UConn continued their dominate performance despite Bentley switching goaltenders when Pauly scored perhaps the goal of the match as he rolled a Bentley defender then deked the keeper to the right placing the puck into the left side of the net.

UConn added four more before the game ending giving UConn a 9-0 win sealing Matt Grogan’s first career shutout.

“It felt good,” said Grogan about his first career shutout.

“Tonight was a culmination of a lot of hard work throughout the year,” said Interim Head Coach David Berard. “Sometimes you get these special nights where everything seems to go in and everything clicks.”

UConn continue their march to the AHA conference tournament this weekend when they play a home and home series with Holy Cross. Holy Cross is currently embroiled in a three-way tie for fourth place with UConn and Canisius.

UConn start the series Friday night at home at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum and then travel to Worcester, Mass. Saturday night to close out the series.