Big East women's soccer power rankings

Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012

10. Providence 8-7-1 overall, 3-5-0 Big East. The Friars have been led this season by freshman forward Catherine Zimmerman. Despite having only played in 10 games this year, she leads the team in points (15) and goals (7). She was recently named the No. 36 freshman in the country by Topdrawersoccer.com (UConn’s Andrea Plucenik was No. 33).

9. DePaul 8-7-1 overall, 3-4-0 Big East. Depaul snapped a three game losing streak when it beat Seton Hall on Sunday, 1-0. Unfortunately for the Blue Demons, after a Friday night contest with Villanova, they will conclude their regular season with matchups against two of the conference’s top teams, Notre Dame and Georgetown.

8. Connecticut 7-6-2 overall, 3-4-1. UConn lost a heartbreaking game last Friday night when USF broke a 0-0 tie in the final minutes, but the Huskies battled back Sunday when they tied Marquette, one of the nation’s elite teams – previously perfect in Big East play. They will travel to Pittsburgh Thursday night before concluding the season a week from Saturday at home against Providence. Head coach Len Tsantiris is currently sitting at 498 career wins.

7. Louisville 8-3-3 overall, 3-2-3 Big East. The Cardinals made a statement on Sunday afternoon when tied No. 11 Georgetown 1-1, spoiling what had previously been a perfect conference record for the Hoyas. Louisville will look to build on that momentum this weekend with a pair of road games in New Jersey against Rutgers and Seton Hall on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

6. Villanova 6-7-2 overall, 4-3-0 Big East. The Wildcats have been on the wrong end of several thrilling games in recent weeks, including a 2-1 double overtime loss at UConn on Sept. 23rd. However, they were able to reverse that trend when they scored early Sunday afternoon against Cincinatti and were able to hold on for the 1-0 win. The Wildcats will conclude the regular season with three home games against Depaul, Notre Dame, and Georgetown.

5. USF 8-4-2 overall, 4-1-2 Big East. The Bulls won a pair of 1-0 shutouts last weekend, earning some hardware in the process. On Friday night they stunned UConn with a last minute goal and Sunday, they hold on against Providence to earn the critical weekend sweep. Freshman goalie Christiane Endler was honored as the Big East Goalkeeper of the Week while Taylor Patterson picked up the conference’s Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts.

4. Syracuse 8-4-2 overall, 5-1-1 Big East. The Orange appear to have caught fire at the perfect time. They are on a four-game winning streak during which they have only allowed one goal. They will hope to continue their defensive dominance when they travel to South Florida and Marquette.

3. Notre Dame 10-3-2 overall, 6-0-1. All three of the Big East’s top teams entered the weekend unbeaten and all three went 1-0-1. The tie for Notre Dame came at the hands of a resilient Rutgers team, who ended an eight-game winning streak for the Irish with a 2-0 tie in South Bend. Notre Dame will look to get back to their winning ways in an enormous showdown with top-ranked Georgetown Friday.

2. Marquette. 10-2-2 overall, 6-0-1 Big East. After blowing out Providence last Friday 5-0, the Golden Eagles rolled into Storrs with confidence but received all they could handle from the Huskies, eventually settling for a 1-1 tie. They have three home games remaining on their schedule to try to earn the top seed entering the playoffs.

1. Georgetown 12-1-2 overall, 6-0-1 Big East. The Hoyas have led the Big East throughout the season, but could not capitalize on an opportunity to separate themselves from Marquette and Notre Dame. Georgetown was handed its tie of the season last weekend. They are led by Player of the Year candidate Daphne Corboz (15 goals, 36 points) and will host Notre Dame on Friday for an opportunity to establish themselves as the team to beat entering the playoffs.