Bria Hartley leads all scorers with 25 in Huskies’ win

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 22:02

Kia Stokes

LINDSEY COLLIER/The Daily Campus

UConn forward Kia Stokes (41) goes up strong for a lay-up against the UCF Black Knights in a 83-35 victory in Hartford on Feb. 19.

After Saturday’s lopsided win over Houston, Geno Auriemma said the rest of the regular season isn’t about how many points his UConn team wins by, but how they play in an effort to ready themselves for the postseason.

Well, the scoreboard may have looked okay after a 81-48 win in the second half of the Huskies’ Texas road-trip at SMU, but the product on the court was a bit more unsightly.

The Mustangs (16-11, 7-9 American Athletic Conference) jumped out to an early 7-4 lead when UConn came out flat. SMU grabbed four of the game’s first five rebounds, including two offensive boards, and held the Huskies without so much as a good look for their first three possessions.

UConn (29-0, 16-0 American) eventually strung together a 15-0 run over the final 4:06 of the first half, but the 37-17 score at the break was still far from pretty.

As she so often is, Breanna Stewart was the sparkplug for the Huskies, remaining steady when things were going poorly for the rest of her teammates. The sophomore notched 16 points in the first half, including eight of UConn’s first 10, and finished the evening with 23.

Bria Hartley turned it on later in the night when she went for 11 points in 2:29. She finished with 25.

Keena Mays, the American’s leading scorer who went for 20 points in the teams’ last meeting, led SMU once again but put up only 13.

Next up for the Huskies is their final home game, a Saturday date with Rutgers at Gampel Pavilion. That game is scheduled for 4 p.m.