Cody Endres suspended

Endres suspended for remainder of season

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, October 21, 2010

Endres

John Levasseur/The Daily Campus

Cody Endres makes a pass down field during a UConn football game. Endres has been suspended for the remainder of the academic year.

Starting quarterback Cody Endres has been suspended from the football team for the remainder of the 2010-11 academic year due to a violation of university policy, the university said in a statement Wednesday.

ESPN's Joe Schad reported yesterday afternoon that Endres was suspended for violating UConn's substance abuse policy.

UConn's substance abuse policy dictates that for a first offense, any athlete who fails a drug test will be referred to student health services for treatment. For a second offense, the athlete will be suspended for 30 to 60 days. For a third offense, the athlete will be suspended for the remainder of the academic year in which the offense occurred and for a fourth offense, the athlete will lose his or her scholarship and be permanently kicked off the team.

According to The Connecticut Post, Endres was first suspended for marijuana use, and the current suspension is due to a failed amphetamines test.

On Aug. 18, both Endres and offensive guard Erik Kuraczea were suspended for a violation of university policy. Both players served month-long suspensions before being reinstated after the Huskies' 30-16 loss to Temple.

Coach Randy Edsall announced yesterday that Kuraczea has withdrawn from the university and is no longer with the team. It is unclear if Kuraczea's decision to withdraw from UConn and Endres' suspension are connected.

In a statement, the UConn Division of Athletics said that they would make no further comment on the matter.

Since returning from their initial suspension, both Endres and Kuraczea had earned starting jobs at their respective positions. Endres relieved Zach Frazer at halftime during the Buffalo game, helping lead the Huskies to a 45-21 win. Following that performance, he was named the starter, and went 1-1 over the next two games.

Redshirt freshman Mike Box was listed as the No. 2 quarterback on Edsall's depth chart on Tuesday and will likely get his first career start on Saturday against Louisville. Senior Mathieu Olivier has been named the starter at left guard following Kuraczea's departure.