Column: A new logo for new times

Associate Managing Editor

Published: Monday, March 11, 2013

It was recently announced that the UConn will be changing its logo in the coming months.

The Husky logo has been a friendly, inviting caricature since it’s inception in 1982, and its singular facelift in 1996 only made it friendlier and more easily recognizable for the UConn fan base.

Reportedly, the main issue with the current Husky logo is that it may be too friendly, maybe even tired looking.

To bolster UConn’s powerful and intimidating reputation, the new logo is planned to be angrier. More along the lines of competitive spirit rather than friendliness and familiarity.

Admittedly, I was skeptic about the logo change. And considering that the new logo design is yet to be released, I still have some doubts about the result of the final new logo.

But for its intents and purposes, there is a part of me that has to agree with the decision behind updating the logo.

For one, UConn’s real-life Jonathan mascot has a history of aggression amongst his fellow animal mascots. Jonathan II famously spooked Brown University’s bear up a tree during a football game in 1935, leading to a call to the Providence, R.I. police to help get him down.

Years later, Jonathan IV continued on with the inborn hatred for the Ivy League when he nipped Yale’s “Handsome Dan” bulldog on the nose when he got too close for Jonathan’s liking. (Rumor has it that the current bulldog still gets nervous at the sound of Jonathan’s name.)
So maybe we do need a meaner looking logo, maybe one baring its Husky teeth at any opponent that thinks it’s tough enough to get too close.

And while the current logo looks tough enough to me, a jaded, lifelong UConn fan, maybe some toughness could be added for anyone not familiar enough yet with the history behind the dog.

For one, the toughest dog of all time could very well have been Balto, a Siberian Husky. If you have not been fortunate to see the 1995 cartoon movie on the story (with Balto narrated by none other than Kevin Bacon), Balto led a team of dogs 600 miles through the Alaskan snow to help deliver serum in stopping a major toxin epidemic.

If that’s not tough then I don’t know a tough mascot is.

My only bone to pick with the changing of the logo is the idea of change itself. UConn athletics, which have so greatly helped the growing reputation for the university as a whole, lacks one major thing to go along with it’s already rich history of success: tradition.

UConn is a new program, not really seeing it’s national athletic success hit a stride into the 1990s. And while we already have built up so many successes in that short period of time, it does not take away from the fact that we are still in a period where traditions really are still just forming.

With that being said, I do support a different logo, and I do support a logo that may be getting away from the friendly, recognizable Jonathan the UConn fan base has grown to love.

Very little, including a different logo, will get in the way of the success across the athletic board that UConn is looking forward to in the coming years and generations.

So here’s to a new logo, and a continuing on of UConn’s growing tradition of success.

Unless it’s ugly. Then we’ll have some problems.