Column: Here’s to missing out

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 22:12

There has been enough talk about UConn’s last-second win over Florida Monday night to fill an entire book.

Between the press coverage, social media chatter and recaps the day after, it’s already looking like Monday night will go down as one of the most exciting regular season wins for the Huskies in program history.

Unfortunately, I had decided to forgo the difficulty of finding a ticket and switched work shifts with a friend instead. I wasn’t there to witness the game, the buzzer beater or any of Shabazz and the rest of the team sprinting off the court after the win.

It hurt, but I had missed big games before. More often than not, thankfully, I have chosen to go to the games that have turned out to be great rather than stay back and catch up on homework, but missing this latest event did sting a little more for me considering that I will almost certainly be missing many more great events very shortly.

In about a month, I will be boarding a plane to Florence for a semester of studying abroad. I’m excited more than anything, but the possibility of missing any more great moments from this year’s men’s basketball team has still remained my biggest fear.

My dilemma isn’t unique in any sense of the word: Countless die-hard fans have undoubtedly missed championships and the like thanks to untimely studying aboard, graduation or other events. Being at one of the greatest basketball schools in the country, leaving for any period of time always leaves you running the risk of missing out on history.

And with an 8-0 start and a quick handful of clutch wins, this year is already shaping up to be one fans are going to want to be around for. And behind the blossoming of Napier, Daniels, Boatright and others as leaders for a very deep team, serious success in March and even April is already looking like a possibility (Not to get ahead of myself or anything).

My reoccurring nightmare is to be thousands of miles away while UConn goes undefeated, dominates late in the season, or, worst of all, wins a fourth national championship. And of course, it’s all out of pure selfishness. Because at the same time, I still have the same excitement for the potential of this year’s team as if I would be able to be here for every home or road game I could get to.

Success rings far and wide beyond Storrs no matter where fans are in the world to revel in it (And all that other “Students Today, Huskies Forever” stuff, of course). My nightmare may be missing out on something great, but my dream is also that UConn can further prove itself as having one of the best men’s basketball programs in college history.

So for me and any other Husky fans that may not be on hand for history this spring, here’s to hoping I’ll be missing something.