Column: Predicting the BCS shakedown

NCAA Football Columnist

Published: Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 21:12

The BCS only has one more year in its reign over NCAA football and it looks like it’s going to be interesting. Auburn defeated the bully on the block, Alabama, last week on quite possibly the greatest play in college football without a band on the field. Now, nobody knows who should play in the championship.

If Florida State wins, they will be playing in the national championship. They deserve it. The ACC might have been a weaker conference than the SEC, but the Seminoles completely demolished everyone they played this year. This includes a 51-14 thrashing of the Clemson Tigers at “Death Valley” on College Gameday. They also defeated a top-10 Miami team and sport the assumed Heisman Trophy winner barring any legal action, Jameis Winston.

So the argument has become whether it will be a one-loss SEC team or Ohio State who would play Florida State in the BCS title game.

Ohio State hasn’t played anyone this season outside of Wisconsin and Northwestern who aren’t exactly in the upper echelon of teams in college football. Ohio State also hasn’t been blowing out their opponents like Florida State has. The Buckeyes nearly lost to Michigan this past week in a game that should have gone to overtime if not for the Wolverines going for two at the end of regulation.

However, the Buckeyes have gone undefeated the past two years and that has to be worth something, right? Sure, the polls are based on a year-to-year basis, but the Ohio State Buckeyes were held out of the national championship last year due to infractions. Instead, a one-loss Alabama was allowed to dismantle the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. It would be tough to keep the Buckeyes out of the national championship on consecutive undefeated seasons, but I don’t see how they could compete with the SEC teams. Of course, if the Buckeyes can’t take care of business this weekend against the Michigan State Spartans, none of this argument will matter.

There are currently two one-loss SEC teams that have a chance to make the national championship and they will play in the SEC Championship this Saturday. Auburn has been the team of destiny these past couple weeks with a miraculous win over both Georgia and Alabama. Their only loss this season was against the No. 6 LSU Tigers earlier in the year. While they have one loss this season, it did come against a top 10 opponent. Ohio State hasn’t faced a top 10 opponent this season.

Missouri’s only loss came to South Carolina in double overtime. South Carolina has proven to be a very tough team this year and defeated a highly ranked Clemson last week. Missouri has defeated five ranked teams this season and has out-matched all their opponents handily except for one game this season.

So when it all boils down, a one-loss SEC champion should play over the Buckeyes due to strength of schedule alone. Plus, if Ohio State had to play any of these SEC schools, they would probably get blown out.

It’s prediction time.

Ohio State loses to Michigan State in a heartbreaking game. Auburn beats Missouri handily and plays Florida State in the National Championship where they will lose to the Seminoles by three touchdowns.

Follow @ScottyBeWallin on Twitter