Djokovic takes Sony Ericsson Open title

Published: Monday, April 2, 2012

It was an exciting 14 days down in Miami, Florida at the Sony Ericsson Open.

Many well-known players as well as up and coming players provided the crowd with excitement, disappointment and everything in between.

This tournament is especially directed towards the fans, they are able to watch the player up close as they have their practices, this gives the public opportunity to gain many autographs as well as souvenirs directly form the players.

During the two weeks tennis fans witnessed an upset by one of the crowd’s favorite, Roger Federer, but at the same time full of excitement as the defeat was provided by American Andy Roddick. Federer demonstrated his determination after dropping the first set 7-6, obtained the second set 6-1, but Roddick wasn’t giving up the fight on his home turf and came back in the third set 6-4 win and a place in the semi finals.

Another huge upset for many was Rafael Nadal’s sudden withdrawal from the semi final match against Andy Murrray due to knee injury.

Having breezed through the first couple of round and defeating Frenchmen, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, in a tough quarter final, Nadal seemed determined to reach the final. On the other hand world No. 1 Novak Djokovic didn’t cease to impress the crowd with his amazing tennis and charm.

Djokovic reached the final without dropping a set and continued the winning streak in the final gaining the title over Murray. He claimed his second Sony Ericsson title and improved his season record to 20-2.

In the women’s world No. 5, Agnieszka Radwanska had an a amazing run in Miami, the 23 year old went through withour dropping a single set. Flying by well-known prestigious players such as Venus Williams and No. 7 Marion Bartoli.

In the final Radwanska continued to impress as she faced world No. 2 Maria Sharapova who seemed to be the crowd favorite. Sharapova as well had a phenomenal tournament having defeated tough players like Na Li and former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki in a close 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 semi final.

The upset came in the final where for the third time in 2012 Sharapova reached a final and was unable to bring home the title. She fell to No. 1 Victoria Azarenka in both the Australian Open and Indian Wells final.

“I would have loved to be the winner, but it’s just the way it goes. When I had my chances at break point, I didn’t take them. When she had them, she did,” explained Sharapova in a post final interview.

Radwanska’s win over Sharapova marked the biggest title earned in her career, and also making history by becoming the first Polish women to finish in the winning circle. Her season record has improved greatly to 26-4, with all four defeats coming from world number 1 Azarenka.

Both ATP and WTA tours have had their share of impressive and disappointing moments thus far in 2012. Expectations are set high for the upcoming back-to-back Grand Slams, the French Open and Wimbledon.