Drummond may miss first exhibition game

Drummond, Wolf battling injuries as Huskies prepare for Wednesday night

Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, October 30, 2011

drummond elbow dunk

ED RYAN/The Daily Campus

Andre Drummond hangs his elbow through the hoop after one of his dunks during First Night. Husky fans may have to wait to see Drummond’s debut in a UConn uniform as he broke his nose during practice on Friday.

Andre Drummond will most likely miss the UConn men's basketball team's first exhibition game this Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. against American International College at Gampel Pavilion.

Drummond, a freshman center out of Middletown, smashed his nose at the beginning of practice Friday afternoon and was sent to the infirmary for X-rays, according to coach Jim Calhoun. Drummond and freshman walk-on Brendan Allen, of Windsor, collided during practice.

Later in the day, Drummond tweeted, "This sucks mild concussion an I broke My nose! #worsedayever."

It was reported by The Hartford Courant that Drummond stayed at the infirmary overnight for observation and will wear a face mask for six to eight weeks. Calhoun said they would not rush the highly-touted freshman back.

The Huskies will be undermanned against the Yellow Jackets Wednesday as sophomore Enosch Wolf also missed practice with a pulled groin that will most likely sideline him for a week. Michael Bradley, the redshirt freshman center who gave up his scholarship to make room for Drummond on the roster, had surgery on his fractured ankle a couple weeks ago and will remain out until December while he rehabilitates.

Off the Rim

Calhoun addressed the rules approved Thursday that would keep UConn out of the 2013 NCAA tournament due to poor academic progress rate scores from the last two seasons.

"I feel confident that we're certainly going to meet the standards that we need to meet," Calhoun said after practice Friday. "And if it is somehow or other thrust upon us too quickly, I don't have any great concerns about that because I know Walt Harrison. I trust him. I think he'll do what's right for the kids, eventually the NCAA will do what's right for the kids, and we'll go on."

According to reports from the Associated Press, the combined APR from the the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons, which won't be announced officially until May, would not meet the the new standard. Schools must have a two-year average of 930 to be eiligbile for the postseason.

The Huskies had a score of 826 for the 2009-10 year.

"We had a bad class a couple of years ago that hurt us," Calhoun said.

Calhoun has faith the rules will be reworked, but also acknowledged improvements will need to be made.

"We have got to solve our problems and it's a UConn problem," Calhoun said.

He wouldn't speculate on how future adjustments to the standards would possibly help or hurt the Huskes.

"That's all conjecture, I can't tell you what's going to be," Calhoun said.

Calhoun acknowledged the team's offense is working through a few kinks in practice.

"I'm happy with the defense, I'm happy with rebounding but I'm really concerned with the offense right now," Calhoun said.

"I thought we'd be better," Calhoun added. "I thought we'd be better fast break-wise."

"I think I agree with Coach, what he says is not what it needs to be," said Alex Oriakhi.

Oriakhi said both Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright have big shoes to fill following the departure of Kemba Walker.

"I think it's kind of hard to ask so much from a sophomore [Napier] but that's the role that's been given to him," Oriakhi said.

The junior said he's confident that the offense's rust will wear off soon enough and the team will find it's post-Walker identity.

"I think losing Kemba is deinitely something you have to get used to," Oriakhi said. "Alot of times last year, we'd just watch."