Football commit may also want to play basketball for UConn

Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Two-sport athlete Jordan Fuchs committed to UConn on Monday on a full football scholarship.

Fuchs, a senior at Christ the King High School in New York, plays tight end in football, but is also a power forward in basketball. He received offers from multiple Division I basketball schools: including Rhode Island, Iowa State and Rutgers.

As a two-sport player, speculation remains as to whether or not Fuchs will pursue a spot on the basketball team as well. Fuchs is unsure if he will ever try to play both.

“I spoke to Coach P about it and he said maybe after my first two years, when I have a little more experience,” Fuchs told the Hartford Courant. “I haven’t played football that long and have a lot to learn but if I pick it up fast enough maybe I’ll try it after my first year. I have friends on the team so that would be cool.”

One of those friends is Christ the King basketball star Terrence Samuel, who committed to UConn last fall.

Fuchs is the fourth tight end to commit to UConn for the 2013 season. The Huskies are losing starting tight ends Ryan Griffin and John Delahunt, who played key roles in UConn’s passing game in 2012.

UConn received a surprise commitment on Monday from wide receiver Brian Lemelle from Bishop McDeVitt High School in Harrisburg, Penn.

Lemelle is a three-star prospect ranked No. 151 among wide receivers in the Class of 2013, according to ESPN. He chose UConn despite offers from Iowa, Temple, Boston College, Purdue, Cincinnati, Nebraska, Penn State, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia and West Virginia.

The addition of Fuchs and Lemelle brings UConn’s 2013 total to 21 recruits.

UConn will hold its signing day presentation at Rentschler Field on Feb. 6. As of right now, there is still space for the program to add a couple more commits.