Volleyball set for rematch against Hoyas

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The UConn Huskies will take on the Georgetown Hoyas Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. in our nation’s capital, Washington D.C. This game will be an interesting rematch of a game that took place earlier this season.

Earlier this season, UConn was defeated the Hoyas 3-1. UConn won the first set by a score of 25-17. The Huskies dropped the second set 13-25, but bounced back with an exhausting and jaw dropping second set that saw the lead exchange hands five times. UConn eventually pulled through 25-21. The Huskies took the final game in convincing fashion, 25-20, sealing the win.

UConn’s Mattison Quayle recorded a double-double with 13 kills and 13 digs. Devon Muagle also had 13 kills of her won while Immanuella Anuga added 7 of her own. Angela Roidt had 36 assists and Kelsey Maving had 18 digs.

The Hoyas also had some great individual performances in the game. Alex Johnson registered a double-double with 19 kills and 18 digs, leading her team in both categories. Brooke Bachesta killed 14 balls of her own. The Hoyas left Storrs with a record of 6-9 and things have not gotten a lot better for the Hoyas. Since last meeting the Huskies, the Hoyas’ record has been a measily 1-10, bringing their overall season record to 7-19. They have only recorded one win in inter-conference play, the win coming against a DePaul team that was easily defeated by the Huskies. In fact, the Hoyas are currently on a seven set losing streak since their overtime loss to Syracuse.

The Huskies are currently on a 5-1 winning streak that has seen some great accomplishments for the girls. They have clinched a spot in the Big East Tournament, which has been one of Coach Strass-O’Brien’s goals since the early going. Senior, Mattison Quayle recorded her 1,000 career kill against Marquette, a great feat for a great player. She is the 13th Husky to reach the mark in program history. The Huskies only have two games left until the end of the regular season and are looking to tune up a few things before their first quarterfinal game in Milwaukee on the 16th of November.