Freshman Omar Calhoun named Big East Rookie of the Week

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

UConn freshman guard Omar Calhoun was named the Big East Rookie of the Week on Monday, claiming the honor for the second time this season.

Calhoun was the Huskies’ most consistent player last week, averaging 15.5 points and six rebounds over UConn’s two games.

The Brooklyn native stepped up late in the second half on Wednesday against No. 6 Syracuse. Calhoun shot 3-5 from three-point range and ended the game with 15 points, as UConn knocked off the Orange in their final Big East meeting.

On Saturday, Calhoun was even more important to the Huskies offense, as Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright went quiet from the field. Calhoun scored a team-high 16 points and grabbed six rebounds, despite UConn’s 70-61 loss to Villanova.

Calhoun first won the Rookie of the Week award on Dec. 24, after averaging 19.5 points during UConn’s wins over Maryland-Eastern Shore and Fordham. He joins St. John’s JaKarr Sampson and Villanova’s Ryan Arcidiacono as the only players to win the award multiple times this season.

Overall, Calhoun has enjoyed a successful freshman season. He is the team’s third-leading scorer behind Napier and Boatright and he ranks 30th in the Big East Conference, averaging 11.5 points per game, and he is shooting 33 percent from three-point range.

Calhoun has started every game for the Huskies and has been trusted by Coach Kevin Ollie with 30.9 minutes on the floor per game.

The Huskies will continue to look to Calhoun as a third offensive threat when they take on the Cincinnati Bearcats on Thursday at 7 p.m. at the XL Center in Hartford.