Golf swings to 10th-place finish in Charleston

Published: Thursday, March 7, 2013

The UConn golf team, led by freshmen Zach Zaback and John Flaherty, finished 10th out of the 12-team field Tuesday at the Charleston Shootout in Charleston, S.C. Despite some blustery conditions, with wind gusts up to 25 miles per hour, Zaback and Flaherty remained calm and gave impressive performances, finishing tied for 26th in the 84-player individual competition. John Flaherty has been a top finisher in UConn’s first two tournaments, displaying a variety of shots and precision on the green to shoot a 73-78-74-225 over the 54-hole tournament.

Fellow freshman Zack Zaback returned to form, matching his teammate with a 75-74-76-225, an aggregate score of nine over par. Other UConn players braving the conditions include sophomore Chris Wiatr, who submitted a 54-hole score of 232 to finish in a tie for 48th, while freshman Stephen Pastore finished 74th with an aggregate score of 249. In a strong, competitive field, USC Upstate won the tournament with an overall score of 881, for a total of 17 over par, while Sam Houston State came in second with an aggregate score of 886. The individual event ended in a three–way tie between John Duke Hudson of the College of Charleston, Easton Renwick of Coastal Carolina and Hayden Garrett of Clemson, who each shot an even-par 216 over 54 holes.

Other schools to compete this week included High Point University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Stetson University and Loyola University of Maryland. The Huskies were able to outlast Navy and Hofstra. The team will be in action again in two weeks at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular, held at the Mission Inn Resort in Howey-in-the-Hills, F.L. The tournament will be the first of two held in Florida this month, a welcome change of scenery for the Huskies.

The Huskies close out their busy month at the Florida Atlantic University Spring Break Championship in Lake Worth, F.L., from March 29 to 31. With two tournaments completed, the Huskies have shown progress in dealing with difficult courses and equally difficult competition. As they will work to improve for the Big East Conference Championship at the end of April. The youth movement on display currently has provided a boost for this team, and they will look again to their freshmen front-runners to carry this team forward in Florida.