Huskies head to Lafayette Rider Winter Games

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

The UConn men’s track and field team travels to the Armory in New York on Friday to compete in the Lafayette Rider Winter Games. This is the Huskies’ last regular season meet before Big East Championships begin.

Led by junior Darnell Cummings, UConn finished in second place at last weekend’s Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup, losing only to the No. 13 team in the nation, Penn State. With the second place finish, the Huskies bested Cornell University by 11 points in the Challenge Cup but still find themselves ranked No. 2 in the Northeast region, squarely behind the Big Red. UConn is not likely to catch Cornell before the Big East Championships, as they look at the Lafayette Rider Winter Games as a chance to tune their skills, rather than make a statement.

“Most of our track kids will race down [compete in shorter events] to work on their speed this weekend,” head coach Gregory Roy said. “Sharpening our technique and freshening up are the order of the day in the field events.”
It is in those field events that the Huskies have shown the most consistency. Junior pole vaulter Cory Duggan has yet to finish outside the top three in any meet this season, including a second place finish at last weekend’s Challenge Cup. Sophomore Amanze Williams impressed in the triple jump for the second week in a row, finishing fourth with a hop, skip and jump of 14.91 meters. In addition, Josh Faboyede finished fourth in the weight throw, setting a new personal record with a fling of 19.44 meters. Faboyede was just one of 12 Huskies to set new personal bests at the meet.

Events are slated to begin at 1 p.m. on Friday.