Huskies travel to Providence to take on Friars

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

The UConn women’s basketball team will make the short trip up the snow-covered roads to Providence Tuesday to take on the Friars.

For Bria Hartley, the contest provides an opportunity to keep building on her recent consistency.

After missing the first month of the season due to an ankle injury, Hartley struggled to return to her old self, but has started to find her form of late.

Last week, when the Huskies took on Marquette, Hartley racked up 20 points and three assists in 27 minutes. Sunday, against DePaul, she continued her strong outputs with 18 and four.

“It’s good to have two games in a row now, so I just want to start stringing some more games along,” Hartley said Sunday.

The biggest difference for Hartley has been her ability to push the pace in recent games, as her typical speed has started to return.

Even DePaul Coach Doug Bruno recognized the fact that Hartley has begun to return into her old-self.

“Bria looked a lot more like herself,” Bruno said. “She’s getting better and she needs to and she is. And that’s a very important ingredient for this team.”
Providence enters the game ranked No. 303 in the country in points allowed and No. 321 in field goal percentage defense, so they should provide Hartley a good chance to add to her point total and continue to rebuild her confidence.

The Friars are 7-16 on the season and 2-8 in Big East play. UConn enters the matchup 22-1 and 9-1 in the conference.

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Alumni Hall. The game can be seen on SNY or heard on WTIC 1080 AM.