Huskies win first Big East games of season

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The UConn women’s lacrosse team swept a pair of road games over the weekend against conference foes Cincinnati and Lousiville. The Huskies improved to 9-5 overall and 2-4 in the Big East with a 17-8 win at Cincinnati on Friday and a come-from-behind 10-9 victory at Louisville on Sunday.

UConn scored eight unanswered goals over a span of 18:38 in the second half to beat the Bearcats (3-11, 0-7 Big East). The Huskies were powered by a trio of hat-tricks from midfielders Jordan Christopher, Lauren Kahn and Kacey Pippitt. Christopher and Pippitt also added an assist each.

Junior Morgan O’Reilly and senior Kiersten Tupper both notched a pair of goals, bringing their season goal totals to 10 and 27, respectively. Tupper has averaged 3.23 points per game this season, which makes her No. 8 in the Big East.

UConn outshot the Bearcats 37 to 24 including scoring on 5-of-9 free position shots.

Junior goalie Brittney Testa made 11 saves to earn the win. Testa was even more impressive in the Huskies’ win over Louisville (3-12, 1-7 Big East) on Sunday. She held one of the country’s top goal scorers, Nikki Boltja and Louisville, to only two goals in the final 35 minutes, allowing UConn to mount a comeback after trailing 7-4 at halftime.

She finished with 11 saves which raised her goal total to 112 and save percentage to .465 for the season.

A pair of first-half goals from junior Mackenzie Rainone kept the Huskies within striking distance as she would score twice more in the final 30 minutes as part of a 6-1 Connecticut run that sealed the victory.

UConn leading scorer M.E. Lapham only registered one goal against Cincinnati, but she could not be kept quiet against Louisville, scoring three goals and dishing out three assists.

The victories gave Connecticut its first two conference wins of the season and matched its nine-win total from last year. The Huskies are ranked No. 34 in the latest NCAA Women’s Lacrosse RPI.

With only two games remaining at home against Villanova and No.14 Loyola (Md.), the Huskies have been eliminated from Big East tournament contention due to head-to-head losses to both Georgetown and Rutgers. But UConn still has an outside chance at receiving a bid to the NCAA tournament.