Lacrosse: UConn tops Quinnipiac for first win

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 22:02

Early Saturday afternoon, the UConn women’s lacrosse team defeated the Quinnipiac Bobcats handily, by a score of 17-7. The Huskies quite simply dominated the game. Led by the 6-point effort of sophomore midfielder Katherine Finkelson, UConn was able to improve to a 1-1 record after UMass handed them a loss in their season opener.

Senior midfielder Lauren Kahn added three goals of her own, bringing her season total to seven. Kahn also added two assists. Along with her five goals, Finkelson tallied one assist. Finkelson also scored four goals in last year’s game against Quinnipiac.

Senior midfielder Kacey Pippit added two goals. Sophomore Ally Fazio, junior Sara McBride, sophomore Carly Palmucci, sophomore Alexandra Crofts, freshman Jaquelin Jordan, junior Grace Presnick and sophomore Madalyn Pimental each scored once to round out the Huskies’ attack.

UConn only scored five goals in their season opener, so this offensive outburst was surprising. When asked what the key to the offense was, coach Katie Woods said, “The team trusted each other more. They went out and took risks, tried to make plays.” She noted the team played more cohesively, with a greater emphasis on passing the ball. Of the 17 goals scored, seven were assisted.

With their victory, UConn improved to an all-time record of 29-15 against Connecticut opponents. They have a winning record against Quinnipiac, Central Connecticut State, Eastern Connecticut State, Fairfield and Sacred Heart.

Early in the first half, Quinnipiac was able to keep the game close. The score was tied (4-4) 10 minutes into the 1st half, but — after that point — Connecticut pulled away decisively. Sophomore midfielder Aileen Carey had three goals and an assist: a team high. This was Quinnipiac’s first game of the season.

At 1-1, UConn will head up to New Hampshire next week to face off against Dartmouth. Coach Woods noted that the team was ready. “We know the schedule is tough, but we’re looking forward to the good competition. Our team loves to play against top competition,” Wood said.

The Huskies will play their first road game of the season on Wednesday.