Basketball Articles

• Kiah Stokes and Breanna Stewart UConn destroys St. Joe’s 91-52 in the round of 32

STORRS, Conn. – UConn wasted little time giving fans who bought advance tickets in Lincoln some peace of mind in a 91-52 win over No. 9 seed St. Joseph’s Tuesday night, thanks in large part to Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

• American shows strength

MEMPHIS – UConn coach Kevin Ollie and senior Shabazz Napier were two of the few who believed in the strength of the newly established American Athletic Conference prior to its inaugural season.

• UConn wins on senior night behind Napier and Giffey

With the 2011 national championship banner hanging overhead, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander and Shabazz Napier, the only players left from UConn’s third national championship team, said goodbye to Gampel Pavilion and the 10,167 fans inside.

• Coach of the Year Chatter

College basketball’s Player of the Year award is all but locked up, thanks to the brilliance of Creighton senior Doug McDermott. McDermott, who leads the nation in scoring (26 points per game), hasn’t dropped less than 25 points since Jan. 25. Douggie McBuckets’ sole focuses now are leading the Bluejays an a deep postseason run and continuing to move up the NCAA all-time scoring list—he’s currently 10 with 2,944 career points.  

• Huskies look to get back on track against Bulls

Since going to Texas and losing its first two games in American Athletic Conference play, the UConn men’s basketball team is 10-3, losing only once on the road.

• Storrs Side: Men’s basketball drops out of nation’s top 25 teams

The UConn Huskies find themselves outside of the AP Top 25 for the first time in four weeks.  This loss brings UConn to a 21-6 record, dropping them to No. 5 in the American where they have a 9-5 record. SMU moved to 22-6 (11-4 AAC) and are back in the Top 25, slotted at No. 23. They previously beat UConn on Jan. 4, 74-65 completing the season sweep.

• Storrs Side: Men’s basketball rises in the rankings to No. 21

After blowing out South Florida and surviving an overtime thriller against Memphis, UConn (20-5, 8-4 AAC) finds itself No. 21 in the nation. Last week, the Huskies sat as No. 24. UConn is currently No. 4 in the American Athletic Conference, 3.5 games behind first place Cincinnati (23-3, 12-1 AAC). UConn heads down to Philadelphia to face the Temple Owls this week, followed later by a rematch against Southern Methodist at Gampel Pavillion. Earlier in the season, SMU defeated UConn in Dallas. 

• Bulls struggle offensively, Huskies shine

With 3:51 left in the first half, USF’s Martino Brock caught nothing but air on one of his free throw attempts.

• USF only scores 14 in first half of UConn blow out

HARTFORD – Before anyone in the XL Center could blink Wednesday night, the No. 24 UConn men’s basketball team was out in front of South Florida by double digits.

• Pro Side: Men’s basketball back among nation’s top 25 teams

After a four-week absence, UConn men’s basketball is back in the AP Top 25 poll. 

Sports

• Softball rained out, faces Hartford on Wednesday

After UConn softball’s Tuesday matchup against the University of Rhode Island was cancelled due to inclement weather, the Huskies (9-29, 2-9 the American) look to start their week off with a home game against in state rival Hartford (7-21 overall, 1-8 in America East).
    After a weekend series in Louisville where UConn could only muster two runs in three games against the Cardinals, the Huskies will need a stronger offensive output in order to pick up their first win of the week against the Hawks.

• Column: Rooting for good people

Sports journalism is founded on one basic tenant: no cheering on press row.

• Jess Condon Hartford wins bid to host 2015 AAC Tournament at XL Center

The 2015 American Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Championship will be played at the XL Center in Hartford, the conference announced Monday.

• Dolson and Hartley to be teammates again in Washington

UNCASVILLE – Geno Auriemma has joked that Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley were attached at the hip through four years at UConn. As it turns out, they won’t have to sever that bond to enter the pro ranks; both are joining the WNBA’s Washington Mystics after Monday night’s draft.

• Lindsay Collier A star is born: The story behind UConn walk-on Pat Lenehan

Ask any basketball fan and they will tell you the most boring games to watch are blowouts. We yearn for the excitement of a close ballgame, sitting on the edge of our seat as the hair on the back of our necks stands, as if it too is trying to get a glimpse of the action.

• Baseball: Huskies look to improve .500 record on the road against Fairfield

The UConn baseball team – fresh off a three-game road set against Cincinnati over the weekend in which the Huskies took two out of three and regained a .500 record – will travel to Fairfield today for an afternoon matchup against the Stags.

• Column: Welcome to Hartford

If you told me that my week could get better after covering half of a dual national championship, Boston College losing, covering my first MLS game, “Mean Girls” showing up on Netflix, seeing Bubba Watson choke up after winning the Masters and watching Joffrey do the same on his wedding day, I would find it hard to believe you.

• Column: With playoffs looming, time to grow those beards out

Last Monday, I found myself in Dallas for the National Championship game where, like many other UConn fans, I found myself doing whatever I could to push the Huskies to victory. I made sure to wear the same 1959 Jonathan the Husky shirt along with the same Hawaiian UConn hat that I had worn for the previous victory. I talked to the same kids, who had pushed their ways to the same spot that were praying, just praying, for the same result as the previous game.

• Column: Pine tar use in baseball more common than not

Thursday night began the four game series between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. The long time rivalry always attracts fans not just from the two teams, but also across the MLB. This game in particular drew a lot of attention as Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda threw a no-hitter for the first five innings. Pineda had a season-ending shoulder injury in 2012 that also put him out for the 2013 season. His comeback seemed unlikely, until he proved himself this past spring. But Thursday night’s 4-1 Yankee’s victory brought up a lot of question about what was responsible for Pineda’s un-hittable pitches: his arm or pine tar?

• Column: England seeks redemption in Rio this summer

As the scorching temperatures are quickly upon those participating in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, England are likely doing their best to cool themselves down after recent World Cup disappointments. With no John Terry, David Beckham or Paul Scholes, the “Golden Generation” is quickly fading; however, as Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard will likely feature in their final World Cup, expectations for the Three Lions are still high.

• Softball: UConn hosts Rhode Island, looks to snap skid

The UConn softball team will host the Rhode Island Ram’s today in Storrs in a one game non-league matchup as both teams are searching for a victory to help right the ship.

• Softball Softball: Huskies' winning streak snapped, swept at Louisville

After winning two home games against Providence and Fairfield, the UConn softball team was unable to continue their winning streak against Louisville, as the Huskies were swept in the weekend series by scores of 9-1, 6-0 and 9-1 in Louisville, Ky.

• Baseball Baseball: Huskies take two out of three at Cincinnati

Blake Davey’s two home runs on the weekend helped propel the UConn baseball team to a series win over the Cincinnati Bearcats at Marge Schott Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio.

• Column: What a title can do

Here we are a week later and I still can’t believe it. Not only did the UConn men’s basketball team shock the world...again, but the women took home their record ninth title.

• Women’s Tennis: UConn gets third straight victory

The UConn women’s tennis team finished up regular season play by picking up their third straight victory this past Saturday, beating the Marist College Red Foxes 6-1 in a dual meet.

• Men’s Tennis: UConn ends season with win over Sacred Heart

The UConn men’s tennis team ended the 2013-2014 season with a win against Sacred Heart University this past Saturday.

• Men's Track and Field: UConn earns 15 top-5 finishes

Over the weekend, the UConn men’s track & field team competed in the prestigious Spec Towns Invitational, where participants from all over the world and teams from all over the country competed. Countries such as Jamaica, Slovakia and Nigeria showed up for the event, as well as schools from the midwest, northeast and south came out for what was a highly competitive event. This weekend, UConn tallied two first place finishes and 15 top five finishes. The two top finishes were recorded by freshman Michael O’Donnell in the 1500 meter run and sophomore Robert Rhodes in the 800 meter run, as both lead the way for the Huskies at this event. Sophomore Nicholas Bertolini finished third. Senior Paul DeSalvo and junior Philip Caldwell finished third and fifth behind Rhodes in the 800 meter.

• Lacrosse: UConn loses to Georgetown, beats Marquette

After Georgetown snapped the UConn lacrosse team’s six-game winning streak Friday, the Huskies got back on track Sunday with a win over Marquette at the Sherman Family Sports Complex.

• Column: How about now?

I have often wondered how many Grammy awards Coldplay had to win before folks took them seriously. In the same way, it’s how I feel about the UConn men’s basketball program.

• Softball Softball: UConn looks to continue their win streak against Louisville

The UConn softball team defeated Fairfield 5-3 Thursday afternoon in Storrs. The Huskies used strong pitching and defense to win their second straight game after defeating Providence yesterday.

• Baseball Baseball: UConn to play Cincinnati in a three game series

The UConn baseball team will travel to Cincinnati to play the Bearcats this weekend in a three-game series.

• Lacrosse: UConn looks to keep six game win streak alive as they take on Georgetown

In what has turned into an impressive turnaround, the UConn lacrosse team (7-4) look to continue their six-game winning streak Friday against a challenging Georgetown (4-7).

• Men’s tennis: UConn hosts Sacred Heart in last meet

The UConn men’s tennis team looks to finish the regular season with a win, as they host Sacred Heart Saturday at the UConn tennis courts. The meet is set to begin at noon.

• Women’s tennis: UConn looks for third straight win in final meet of the season

The UConn women’s tennis team looks to end its regular season with a three-meet win streak, as they face Marist Saturday at the UConn tennis courts. The meet is set to begin at noon.

• Track and field: UConn to compete in Spec Towns Invitational

After a hectic week that featured the Dog Fight against the University of Albany and the UConn Decathlon, the UConn men’s track and field team will be headed off to Athens, Ga. to compete in the Spec Towns Invitational. The Huskies have not competed in this event since 2010, where they accumulated seven top-48 NCAA times in a meet coach Greg Roy described as having great competition. At this 2009 event, former Husky Ellis Gaulden qualified for the NCAA championship in long jumping and five other athletes recorded six IC4A qualifying marks.