Men's Hockey: Huskies battle Niagara for AHA position

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 23:12

The UConn men’s hockey team will play its finally two games before the holiday season this weekend as the Huskies take on the Niagara Purple Eagles Friday and Saturday night.

UConn suffered two early losses to the Purple Eagles last season and failed to score a goal in either of the games. The Huskies would lose the first game by a score of 3-0 and the second game 5-0.

Their goaltender, Carson Chubak, stopped all of the Huskies 27 shots in the first game and 26 in the second game. However, Chubak didn’t return this season, leaving the Purple Eagles to lean on freshmen Adrian Ignani and Jackson Teichroeb in net.

The Purple Eagles also relied on senior Giancarlo Iuorio who scored a hat trick in the 3-0 loss and two goals and an assist in the 5-0 loss.

With Iuorio out of the lineup the Purple Eagles have become a more balanced team with six of their players scoring at least three goals this season.

The Purple Eagles are led defensively by senior Ryan Rashib, who has garnered eight points on four assists and four goals, and sophomore Hugo Turcotte, who also has eight points on four assists and four goals.

Niagara’s record stands at 3-9-1 on the year with all three of their records occurring in the Atlantic Hockey Conference. They are currently coming off a three game losing streak that has seen losses to perennial powerhouses Michigan and Cornell.

Niagara’s three conference wins leave them tied with UConn for fourth in the Atlantic Hockey Association, each with identical 3-2-1 conference records.

UConn comes into this weekend coming off a loss and a tie to Canisius. Their record currently stands at 4-5-2 on the season with a 3-1-1 home ice record.

The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. on Friday night and 4:05 Saturday evening at the Freitas Ice Forum on the UConn campus.