Men's hockey wins behind Bartus

Published: Sunday, January 29, 2012

Solid goaltending is essential to the success of any great hockey team and luckily for the Huskies, they have just that. UConn junior goaltender Garrett Bartus set the all-time UConn Division I saves record this weekend in a 3-1 victory at home Friday and 3-0 shutout victory against Holy Cross on the road. The record was previously held by Beau Erickson who made 2,431 stops in during his time with the Huskies from 2006 to 2009.

Bartus came into Friday's game just 56 saves away. He made 33 saves on 34 shots to come away with the victory. UConn's offense gave him the goals he needed by scoring 3 to secure the win. "He made real key saves for us and we gave him the ability to do so," said head coach Bruce Marshall

On Saturday, UConn hit the road to faceoff with Holy Cross. On the first shot that Bartus faced in the third period he notched his 2,432nd save, giving him the all-time UConn Division I saves record. Another record was also broken this weekend with 3-0 victory. The Huskies snapped the record for shutouts in a season with 4. UConn is also ranked No. 18 in the country for goals per game with 2.56.

UConn's offense once again gave Bartus the support he needed with a power play goal by the captain Sean Ambrosie in the first period. Junior Miles Winter scored an even strength goal in the second, followed by the empty netter in the third by sophomore Cole Schneider.

At the final horn Bartus had stopped all 31 Holy Cross shots he faced. "It's pretty cool. I have played a lot of games; it's a record you don't really have control over. I played a little shaky last weekend and it feels good to battle back," said Bartus.

As the hockey season heads into the home stretch the victories and points will become even more precious, UConn will continue to rely on Bartus for more solid performances between the pipes. This is not something uncommon for him, as he set the record for most saves in a single season at UConn with 1,085. After this weekend, Bartus is ranked No. 14 in the NCAA in save percentage at .925 and currently sits fourth overall in saves. "You need to continue to do what you're doing and come and play hard," Bartus said.

Bartus and the rest of the UConn Huskies will play Princeton out of the ECAC, their last non-conference opponent of the regular season, at Princeton on Tuesday, Jan. 31. The Huskies return home to take on Army Feb. 7.