Men's swimming and diving struggle at Virginia Tech

Published: Monday, November 26, 2012

S&D

TROY CALDEIRA/ The Daily Campus

The UConn men's swimming and diving team struggled to a third place finish over Thanksgiving Break.

After a narrow loss to Penn State the weekend before, the UConn men’s swimming and diving team finished third out of four at the H20kie Invitational hosted by Virginia Tech over the weekend before Thanksgiving Break.

In a grueling competition held on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday leading into the break, the Huskies competed with the Virginia Tech Hokies, the South Carolina Gamecocks and the College of William & Mary Tribe. The Hokies finished first with 449.5 points, the Gamecocks second with 324.5 points, the Huskies third with 162 points, and the Tribe fourth with 119 points.

The performance was UConn’s weakest of the season in terms of placement, but one of their strongest in terms of race time. Senior Kyungsoo Yoon had one of his fastest finishes of the season in the 50-yard freestyle at 20.53 seconds. This success was accompanied by a third place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay, in which Yoon, senior Sean Battle, junior Keith Piper, and freshman Jeff Magin completed the race in 1:23.56.

The diving team also struggled to find success in competition. Freshman John Brice placed seventh in the three-meter dive with a score of 295.85 points. Last year’s star Senior Grant did not place as he continues his difficult recovery from a wrist injury that has kept him out of the pool for most of the start of the season.

The team will compete again this weekend from Thursday through Saturday in the USA Swimming Winter Nationals, which will be hosted in Austin, TX.