Men's swimming and diving: UConn host a head-to-head meet this weekend

Published: Thursday, January 30, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 30, 2014 23:01

The UConn men’s swimming and diving team will look to take their head-to-head meet record to 5-0 as they host the Dartmouth College Big Green. The meet is set to begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 1 at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium in Storrs, Connecticut.

The Huskies are coming off of a convincing win over Seton Hall this past Sunday, winning 15 of 16 events en route to a 175-116 victory. UConn is also riding a 3-0 undefeated streak at home coming into the matchup.

Dartmouth comes into the meet on the heels of an impressive first place finish at the Dartmouth Invitational. The Big Green won 15 of 18 events and scored a 1,106.50, well ahead of UMass Amherst, Connecticut College, Maine and Boston College for the win.

“Dartmouth got us pretty good last year,” UConn head coach Bob Goldberg said. “They’re one of the better Ivy League teams. We’re going to need all the guys to step up if we want to win this one,” he said.

Saturday will mark just the third meeting between the Huskies and The Big Green, with each program winning one meet each of the past two years.

“It’s a new rivalry, but it’s growing,” Goldberg said. “The guys are always training hard. It’s an important match up,” he said.