Men's tennis edges Boston University on road

Published: Monday, September 23, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 23, 2013 00:09

The UConn men’s tennis team earned its second victory of the season after edging Boston University 7-6 at the legendary Longwood Cricket Club in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.

The grass courts at Longwood Cricket Club hosted the U.S. Pro Tennis Championships from 1964-1999. Taking advantage of the playing surface, the schools sent out four doubles teams instead of the usual three and had nine singles matches instead of six.

The Huskies and Terriers split the doubles matches 2-2. Wayne Harrell and Ryan Carr defeated their opponent 8-3 while Andrew Ginzberg and Parker Goldstein won their match 8-4. With the match tied at two points apiece, it came down to the nine singles matches to determine the winner.

With the match tied at six points apiece, the last point was to be decided by junior Wayne Harrell for the Huskies and junior Chanon Varapongsittikul for the Terriers. The match went three sets, with Harrell fighting back to win 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), 7-5, giving the Huskies the victory.

Other notable victories for UConn in singles came from freshman Chris Toner, freshman Parker Goldstein, sophomore Zac McEntee and junior Josh Palmer. If not for Goldstein fighting back from a 2-5 deficit in the third set to win, the Huskies would not have had a chance to win in the final match.

UConn (2-0) will host Siena on Tuesday on the UConn tennis courts at 3 p.m.