Men's tennis to finish up season agaisnt Boston University

Published: Thursday, April 11, 2013

Men’s tennis to wrap up regular season with showdown against Boston University.

The UConn men’s tennis team is looking for a win to conclude its regular season today when they host BU at the UConn Tennis Courts at 3 p.m.

The team last competed on Wednesday in a 6-1 win over the Southern New Hampshire Penmen. The visiting Terriers, on the other hand, will be heading into Storrs with a 6-5 record that includes a 1-5 mark on the road, following the team’s two consecutive losses at Brown and Marist earlier in the week. The Huskies are 3-9 on the season.

UConn has had season-long struggles due to the youth of the team. However, the team has been improving as of late after seeing better performances from players like sophomore Wayne Harrell and freshmen Andrew Ginzberg, Mark HoSang and Zac McEntee.

“They’ve made strides, without question,” Coach Glenn Marshall said. “They were being thrown into these situations that are tough for tennis players, especially as freshmen because they haven’t been through the cycle of a season. We just need to get tougher mentally in the close matches but these things don’t happen overnight.”

UConn will be looking to repeat their success on Wednesday and get on the board early with a good performance in the doubles competition to jump out in front.

“I think we can definitely take the doubles point against BU,” McEntee said. “If we can get the momentum rolling early on in the match I think we have a good shot.”