Men's track wraps up 2012 Husky Decathlon

Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012

The UConn men’s track and field team hosted the Husky Decathlon at the George J. Sherman Complex, a 10-event meet consisting of both track and field that determines a winner by overall performance. The event began on Tuesday and concluded Wednesday. UConn had four competitors in the meet, but it was junior Jake Waruch that won the three-team decathlon, posting 7,597 points, over 500 points more than the next closest competitor.

Jake, the captain of the team, led after the first day of events and didn’t relinquish his lead. He dominated the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.09 seconds in the first event of the meet, almost three-tenths of second faster than his 10 competitors. After that, Waruch came in third in the long jump (7.05 meters) and then took second in the shot put.

Waruch didn’t just win the 100-meter, however; he ended up placing first in three other events as well. He shared first with a Southern Connecticut State University athlete in the pole vault, with an official height of 4.45 meters. Waruch also obliterated his opponents in another short-track event, the 400-meter dash. Waruch came in at 49.69 seconds, grabbing 829 points along the way.

In the high jump, Waruch also captured first with a jump of 2.06 meters which tied him with a University of Rhode Island athlete. Waruch earned 859 points for his high jump performance.

Fellow junior and Jake’s brother Ben Waruch came in fifth overall in the meet with 6,723 points, thanks to top-three finishes in the shot put, pole vault, 100-meter dash and 400-meter dash.

Sophomore Sam Smith finished with 6,601 points, which was good enough for seventh, while senior Kyle Rowbotham nipped at his heels coming in eighth with 6,448 points. Smith’s best finish was third in the javelin, while Rowbotham’s best individual events were the pole vault and the discus throw, placing fifth in both.

The Huskies next meet will be The Dog Fight, a home meet beginning at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.