OPEN THE FLOODGATES

Huskies to take on Colgate Raiders in Hartford

Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Women's Basketball

JESS CONDON/The Daily Campus

Junior center Stefanie Dolson and the UConn women’s basketball team had a successful trip over Thanksgiving break, completing a 4-0 road trip. The Huskies return home for a game against Colgate on Wednesday at the XL Center.

The Huskies have returned from paradise and now it’s back to business as usual.

Geno Auriemma and his squad will be back in action Wednesday night at the XL Center when they take on Colgate.

UConn enters the game as the second-ranked team in the nation, 5-0 on the season and fresh off a 3-0 trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands, where they won the Paradise Jam tournament title.

Colgate, on the other hand, brings a 2-3 record to Hartford. The Raiders have struggled early on this season, especially on the offensive side of the ball; they scored just 33 points against Drexel on Sunday.

That may lead to trouble for Colgate, as they will receive little help from a UConn team that leads the nation in field goal percentage, field goal percentage defense, assists, assist to turnover ratio and scoring margin.

For the Huskies, the only real problem early on in the season has been a more personnal issue than an on-court one: injuries.

An ankle injury sidelined junior point guard Bria Hartley for the first two games of the year. At the Paradise Jam, Hartley made her return to the team and played in all three contests, but in the final game of the tournament, against Purdue, sophomore Kaleena Mosqueda – Lewis went down with a concussion.

Mosqueda – Lewis started all five games on the year, but has been ruled out for the game against Colgate because of the head injury, forcing Auriemma to find someone to insert in her place.

On the plus side for the head coach, Hartley should be available to make her first start of the season, putting her in line as the most likely replacement.

Aside from being the team’s first game back after Thanksgiving Break and the Virgin Islands, Wednesday night’s game holds another interesting storyline.

Auriemma said he scheduled the game in large part because he knows Colgate coach Nicci Hays Fort from her time as an assistant at DePaul. What he did not know at the time was that he would be heating up a sibling rivalry for one of UConn’s own.

“It wasn’t until after the fact that we realized it was going to be a Herbst versus Herbst WWE smackdown,” Auriemma said. “Susan, the president here, and her brother, the president of Colgate. I don’t know if that’s going to be the halftime entertainment [Wednesday] but I’ve gotten quite a few memos from our fearless leader about what she wants the score to be.”
The game is set for a 7 p.m. tip and can be seen on SNY.