Pair of Hockey East foes await Huskies

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

The UConn women’s hockey team is back in action this Saturday at Freitas Forum against the Maine Bears at 1 p.m. The Bears will enter Freitas at 4-17-2 with a 1-10-1 record in Hockey East. Maine has won tw of their last 10 games, but are coming off a win against conference foe, Vermont.

This is the third time the Huskies and Bears have met this year. The series is currently split 1-1 with this Saturday’s game acting as the rubber match. The first game of the series was the Huskies' first win of the season and their first overtime win since 2009. The game-winning goal was scored by sophomore Kayla Compero just 50 seconds into overtime.

The 2nd game of the series was played the very next day. After a goal by Caitlin Hewes, the Bears answered back with three straight goals of their own before the horn sounded for the end of the first period. The Huskies would cut the lead to one after a goal off the stick of freshmen Michaela Cava, but could not recover the lead.

The Huskies will come into Saturday’s game on a six-game losing streak having only won one of their last 11 games. However, with both of these teams at the bottom of the Hockey East standings and with similar records, this is an outstanding chance for the Huskies to come away with a win. Of course, UConn will need to get the offense going as the Huskies have only scored multiple goals in a single game once since the beginning of 2013.

On Sunday, the Huskies will be shipping up to Boston to play the Boston College Eagles. The Eagles are currently tied with their cross-town rivals, Boston University, for first in Hockey East. Boston College currently lead Hockey East in scoring offense, scoring defense, power play offense, shots and goals allowed. The Eagles are ranked No. 3 in the nation. Boston College is led by their senior in net, Corinne Boyles, who leads the Hockey East in goals against average, save percentage and winning percentage. They also boast the two top scorers in Hockey East, Alex Carpenter and Haley Skarupa.

The Huskies play the Bears at Freitas Forum in Storrs on Saturday at 1 p.m. and Boston College Sunday in Boston at 3 p.m.