Part 2 of 3: Top 35 Soccer Phenoms Under 22

Soccer Columnist

Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Player, Position (Club / National Team)

19. Isco, central attacking midfielder (Málaga / Spain) - Francisco Román Alarcón Suárez, aka Isco is a typical Spanish attacking midfielder. He possesses very good passing, dribbling ability and decent speed. Isco plays a lot like fellow Spanish international Andrés Iniesta of FC Barcelona.

18. Iker Muniain, left wing (Athletic Bilbao / Spain) - Iker Muniain is a different type player when compared to his fellow Spaniards. Muniain is more Theo Walcott than David Silva. His deadly speed and dribbling ability have already made him an important player for Athletic Bilbao where he has already made over 100 appearances.

17. James Rodríguez, left wing (FC Porto / Colombia) - James Rodríguez has followed in many other Columbian players’ footsteps, establishing himself in the Primeira Liga Portuguesa. Rodríguez has grown into a key player for FC Porto where he has already won the Treble in 2011, and a second league title in 2012.

16. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, right wing (Arsenal / England) - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been hyped as the next big thing for England. The “Ox” as he is affectionately known as, is mostly compared to fellow Arsenal and England teammate, Theo Walcott, but to be honest, that’s selling his skills short. He is a tad slower than Walcott but is much more technically proficient and is not limited to playing on the wing.

15. Xherdan Shaqiri, right wing (Bayern Munich / Switzerland) - Xherdan Shaqiri is the leading man in the Swiss resurgence to become relevant in European futball again. Shaqiri played for Swiss club FC Basel from 2009 till 2012, where he won three league titles and two Swiss Cups.

14. İlkay Gündoğan, central midfielder (Borussia Dortmund / Germany) - İlkay Gündoğan is a German footballer with Turkish decent, like fellow national team player Mesut Özil. Gündoğan has more than just that in common with Özil, as both players possess a typical Turkish smooth playing style with German pragmatism. Last season Gündoğan helped Borussia Dortmund win the League and Cup double over Bayern Munich.

13. André Schürrle, left wing (Borussia Dortmund / Germany) - André Schürrle is another player from the Borussia Dortmund revolution in Germany. Schürrle has exceptional speed, a rocket shot, and memorizing dribbling abilities. His passing ability is not as good as other at Dortmund but his positive attacking wing play makes him an exceptional player.

He even defeated Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League.

12. Stephan El Shaarawy, central attacking midfield (AC Milan / Italy) - Stephan El Shaarawy is an attacking midfielder come center forward who is fleet of foot but still strong enough to unleash shots from outside the box. Italian football and AC Milan in particular is typically known for its older players, but El Shaarawy has broken the mold and with Zlatan Ibrahimović leaving for Paris Saint-Germain in the summer, El Shaarawy has been given more responsibility in the AC Milan strike force.