Point/Counterpoint: Which Husky will have the best NFL career?

Campus Correspondents

Published: Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Phil: The last few years have not been too kind to Huskies in the NFL draft. While there have been some bright spots, such as All-Pro safety Tyvon Branch and rising star Kendall Reyes, the blue-chip to backup route has been more common with athletes such as Darius Butler, Donald Brown and Jordan Todman. This year, as the draft rolls around, there is a new crop of UConn talent ready to try their luck in the NFL. Four Huskies are expected to be drafted over this weekend’s event. The class is highlighted by linebacker Sio Moore, who will have the biggest impact of any Husky picked.

Dalton: As the crowds gather in Radio City Music Hall tonight, dozens of colligate stars will watch their dreams come true as they are hand picked to join the National Football League. Several UConn Huskies have caught the eyes of scouts but senior cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson is the most skilled of them all. Wilson’s athleticism, maturity and understanding for the game should allow for a healthy, if not excellent NFL career. Defense wins championships and in a league dominated by the spread offense, a talented and intelligent cornerback is as valuable a prospect as one will find.

Dalton: A meager two-star recruit with limited Division I options, cornerback Wreh-Wilson chose to play his college ball at Connecticut after graduating high school in 2008. He redshirted a season and saw limited action off the bench in the fall of 2009 until the unthinkable happened that October. Following the death of starting CB Jasper Howard, Wreh-Wilson was thrust into the starting line-up as a redshirt freshman. He had big shoes to fill, but he proved himself worthy of the task. Wilson never turned back. He helped lead UConn to its biggest win in program history, shutting down ND and Golden Tate in Nov. 2009, and led a defensive-minded team to a BCS appearance one year later. Team Captain, Team MVP and Second Team All-Big East selection in 2012 Wreh-Wilson’s been there and done that. He’s faced and conquered adversity before and will be prepared for whatever challenges lay ahead at the next level.

Phil: While I do like Wreh-Wilson and think he could end up being starting material in the NFL, Sio Moore, who is arguably the most versatile backer in the draft, will be the best pick when all is said and done. Moore is a jack of all trades who contributes on defense by playing inside and outside linebacker and even some defensive end. He can make tackles, rush the passer and excel in coverage against running backs and tight ends. The versatile game that he possesses will make him a hit in the NFL and give him a legitimate shot at stardom.

Dalton: There’s no denying the ability of Sio Moore. Moore, the self-proclaimed “best linebacker” in the draft could do damage as an NFL player. That said, Blidi Wreh-Wilson isn’t physically lacking either. At 6 foot, 195 Wreh-Wilson is a presence among corners. His size is phenomenal and his speed should allow him to stick with most NFL wide receivers. According to scouts, his anticipation and route recognition will give him a platform to perform and his raw ability shouldn’t be overlooked either. Wreh-Wilson didn’t play football until his senior year of high school and five years later is projected to be a first night draft pick. It’s hard to place a celling on an athlete’s raw potential. Regardless of how his professional career turns out, Wreh-Wilson brought heart and grit onto field every time he set foot upon it as a collegiate athlete. From a diehard Husky fan to an all-time Husky great: Blidi thanks for the memories.

Phil: I do agree that Wreh-Wilson has had an amazing career as a Husky, I believe that Sio Moore is the prospect with the post pro potential. While most fans outside of Storrs know about his measurable, what makes me believe Sio Moore could be the first Husky to ever make the pro bowl is his intangibles. Born in Africa he has worked hard since he has arrived at UConn and has become one of the most highly respected members of the team. He continues this mentality on the field as a leader of the defense attacking the opposing team’s backfield evident by his 43 career tackles for loss and 15.5 career sacks. Whoever ends up with Sio in this year’s draft is getting a true deal, a true three down player who brings it all every down. This is why Sio Moore has the best shot of success in the NFL.