Point/Counterpoint: Will Tim Tebow ever play in the NFL again?

Campus Correspondents

Published: Thursday, September 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, September 5, 2013 00:09

Matt Z: Last Saturday, the New England Patriots released quarterback Tim Tebow, but I believe that he will be back in the National Football League. Tebow has now played for three teams in his career, all for a short time.  
Many say he cannot throw accurately, but even if that is true, I believe he can still be of some value to a team in the NFL.  I think that some team should take a chance on Tebow and let him prove that he can win games in the regular season.

Matt K: After his third opportunity in the NFL, Tim Tebow should consider a career change. He was drafted 25th by the Denver Broncos in 2010 and appeared in the last three games of the season achieving a 1-2 record. In the 2011 season, he surmounted a respectable record of 8-4 which included a dramatic playoff victory. Following the 45-3 smackdown the Broncos endured at the hands of the Patriots, the Broncos went in a different direction signing Peyton Manning, a quarterback with a proven track record, a ring and the ability to throw the ball more than 10 yards.

Matt Z: I believe that Tebow can still win games in the NFL.  I think if he goes to a low market team such as the Jaguars or Browns, he can be successful.  Tebow can win more games than Blaine Gabbert or Brandon Weeden will be able to.  Even if he doesn’t get the starting job, he will bring fans to the stadium, fans will buy his jersey and he will create revenue for that franchise.

Matt K: Tebow, without a doubt, would be able to fill the stands, but why not then sign Usain Bolt as the kick returner? Although he is a role model, the media attention that follows him is detrimental to the team. In a Yahoo! Sports article, an unnamed AFC head coach said, “You don’t want to put up with the circus.” A third string quarterback should not be receiving that much attention, when the first string is named Tom Brady.

Matt Z:  I don’t think the media attention that he brings is negative.  I only think that all of the media attention he caused last year was because of the New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan, not Tebow.  Tebow was brought in and was used at the bare minimum.  If he goes to a team that will actually put him in the game, I don’t think there will be negative attention, as long as he wins some games.

Matt K: Yes, he was used minimally, but starting Sanchez or Tebow was a lose-lose situation. As the starter in the 2011 season, the numbers he put up were among the league worst. He accounted for 20 turnovers, posted the 28th worst Quarterback rating (72.9), was last in yards per game (123.5) and ranked last in completion percentage (46.5 percent). Tebow is obviously a work in progress, but in the NFL, instant return in an investment is mandatory.

Matt Z: It may have been a lose-lose situation for the Jets with Sanchez and Tebow, but Sanchez obviously wasn’t getting the job done. The Jets signed Tebow as their backup so it didn’t make sense to me why they never gave him a shot.  But in the end, in my opinion, Tebow is a great leader and good locker room guy that can still have value to a franchise in the NFL.

Kren: Coach Belichick obviously did not see a future for Tebow which should be seen as a message to every other team. There is quality talent on other team’s rosters with proven or raw talent. Ryan Mallet is a promising young arm, Matt Cassel and Kirk Cousins have shown the capability to step in and win, and finally Matt Hasselback has a great track record. Tebow had one quality season, maybe it is time to join Terrell Owens in Canada and join the AFL.