Pro Side: Pistons make offseason moves, but injuries hamper progress

Published: Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 23:10

One team that was not afraid to make offseason moves in the NBA was the Detroit Pistons as they look to make the playoffs for the first time since the 2008-2009 season.

However, their playoff chances may have taken a hit as their new point guard Brandon Jennings will be sitting out with a tooth injury, one that has some scratching their heads.

Jennings is suffering from an impacted wisdom tooth, a symptom of molars not having enough room to grow, and a hairline fracture at the base of the tooth.

The Pistons said that the young point guard will miss up to three weeks with his nagging tooth injury.

Detroit was very active this offseason as they nabbed Jennings–a promising guard who looks to find new motivation as he leaves Milwaukee–and Josh Smith, a player with an all-star pedigree and a former NBA Slam Dunk Champion.

The Pistons have also hired a new coach this offseason in Maurice Cheeks. Cheeks is coming off a recent stint in Oklahoma City where he was an assistant coach for the last five years under Scott Brooks.

Cheeks has had a successful coaching career as an assistant, most notably working with future NBA Hall of Famer Allen Iverson and helping the 2001 Philadelphia 76ers to the NBA Finals. However, Cheeks’ head coaching career has left something to be desired. Cheeks has had two stints as a head coach with the Portland Trail Blazer and the 76ers.

Despite his playoff woes, Cheeks has always proven to be a class act. He once helped a girl who had forgotten the words to the National Anthem get through the song and sang with her.

Brandon Jennings’ injury could keep Cheeks out of the playoffs once more as the start of the NBA season looms. It will be up to Greg Monroe, Smith and former Husky Andre Drummond to shoulder the load in the early going and get Detroit off to a great start.