ROLLING THE RAIDERS

Huskies crush Colgate with balanced attack

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

The points may not have come from the usual suspects, but the final score against Colgate wasmade in typical UConn fashion, 101-41.

The Huskies started the game with a 10-0 run and never looked back. By halftime, No. 2 UConn was trotting into the locker room with a comfortable 49-22 lead.

Of those 49 points, 43 came from three players. Both junior Stefanie Dolson and sophomore Brianna Banks tallied 14 points and senior Kelly Faris put up 15.

The offensive explosion from Banks and Faris was unusual for the Huskies; the pair entered the night averaging a combined 16 points per game.

But both players eclipsed that mark with ease.

Banks totaled 20 points for the game – a new career-high – while shooting 60 percent from the floor.

Faris finished with a season high of 17 points and shot 5-for-6 in the contest, including a perfect 3-for-3 from behind the arc.

“You look at her stat sheet today and that’s pretty impressive for someone to be able to do all that,” Coach Geno Auriemma said of Faris after the game. “Like somebody said at practice couple weeks ago, we’re going to miss her [when she graduates]. But not yet.”

The duo also tied for the team lead in assists with five apiece.

Despite being overshadowed by their teammates’ breakout performances, Dolson and freshman Breanna Stewart each managed double-digit points on the night and led the Huskies to a staggering 50-2 advantage in points in the paint.

The lone Raiders’ interior points came with 10:20 remaining in the second half, when Catherine Lewis finally managed her squad’s first layup.

Despite missing sophomore Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis because of a concussion she sustained Sunday against Purdue, the Huskies managed to continue their streak of shooting over 50 percent in each game. UConn also finished the night at 45 percent from the three-point range.

Auriemma balanced the playing time among his players so no one player spent more than 25 minutes on the floor.

Even senior Heather Buck, who averaged just 4.4 minutes per game prior to Wednesday, found herself on the court for 10 minutes.

A fan-favorite, Buck elicited the loudest cheer of the night when she scored a layup with 1:50 remaining in the game.

“It was awesome. Heather is also one of those people that you are just always happy for,” Dolson said of her fellow center. “You know, she’s from Connecticut, so everyone here is always cheering for her.”

UConn season’s record is now 6-0, while the loss dropped Colgate to 2-4.

The Huskies’ next test will come Monday night when they face Maryland in the Jimmy V Classic.

Auriemma is hopeful to have Mosqueda-Lewis back for that contest, but said her status depends on if she is able to practice over the weekend.

The game will be televised on ESPN2. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m at the XL Center.