Rowing opens season in Fla.

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The UConn women’s rowing team competed in its first races of the spring season over spring break, traveling to Florida to take on the University of Miami. UConn’s boats won two out of three races.

The varsity eight boat lost by 18 seconds, with a time of 7:13 to Miami’s 6:54 in the 2000-meter race. The first varsity boat remained the same as at the end of last season, with seniors Diana Filipek, Kaitlyn Clarke, Andriel Doolittle, Mary Grace Haggett and Brittany DePoi, juniors Hillary Wiles-Lafayette and Adrienne Barrett, and sophomores Charlotte Kelley and Erin Mounce.

UConn’s second varsity eight edged Miami by wight seconds with a time of 7:20.7. Rowing in that boat were seniors Brittanie Reinold, Jessica Chames and Amanda Sibley, juniors Melissa Soucie and Caitlin Swallow, sophomores Natalie Carlone, Ashley West and Julia Roth, and freshman Kathryn Hughes. Coach Jen Sanford-Wendry said the second varsity “is a very strong crew that has some technical issues. I am very excited about their potential once we can eliminate the rockiness in the boat and get everyone working together.”

The novice eight boat, consisting of sophomores Emi Noshino and Kendra Kohanski, and freshmen Elise McCormick, Amanda Litty, Haley Ullinger, Diana Gryszkiewicz, Jessica Berner, Abbie Viner and Teresa Starzecki, also won its race with a time of 7:40 to Miami’s 8:00.

Coach Sanford-Wendry said she was confident the first varsity can clock in under seven minutes in this weekend’s upcoming Murphy Cup in Camden, N.J. 18 other teams will compete and she says she is going to give the boat another week with the same lineup before possibly moving rowers from the second varsity up to varsity. Both varsity boats will compete in the Cup.