Rowing shutout by Holy Cross, Boston College

Published: Monday, April 22, 2013

The UConn women’s rowing team was shutout in all five races against the Holy Cross Crusaders and the Boston College Eagles on Sunday in Worcester, Mass.

“There was a lot of disappointment and frustration after this weekend,” junior coxswain Charlotte Kelley said. “Not only were we upset because we lost but more of why we lost.”
Sunday’s conditions, especially the wind, were not favorable for Kelley and her teammates. The team agreed that they not only let Boston College and Holy Cross beat them, they let the course get the best of them too.

The UConn varsity eight fell behind early in the top race of the day. Kelley expected both opponents to be fast from the beginning so coaches had a plan in place to counteract falling behind but the plan failed. Kelley then had to be reactive and find new ways to call the race.

It was too little too late as the Huskies placed third with a time of 7:02.86 in the 2,000-meter course. Holy Cross finished first in 6:38.1 followed by Boston College with a time of 6:43.77.

“Racing is very psychological,” Kelley said. “Up until I watched the two other crews cross the finish line I believed we could come back. The hard part is conveying that belief and optimism to the rowers.”
Kelley was joined by seniors Hillary Wiles-Lafayette, Caitlin Swallow, Adrienne Barrett, Brittany DePoi, juniors Julia Roth, Kendra Kohanski, Natalie Carlone and sophomore Kathryn Hughes.

The Eagles cruised to victory in the next four events. They beat out the Huskies by 7.15 seconds in the second varsity eight race and by 14 seconds in the varsity four race.

UConn posted a time of 8:36.69 in the second varsity four race but still lost to both Boston College boats.

Coach Jennifer Sanford-Wendry entered two UConn boats in the third varsity eight race. Boston College took first and second in an impressive time of 7:08.2 and 7:18.86. Holy Cross took third and UConn placed fourth and fifth.

Up next for the Huskies is a four-team race against Bucknell, West Virginia and Delaware in Lewisburg, Pa.

“This weekend I am looking at as a training opportunity to practicing rowing aggressively and to forget the negativity of last weeks race,” Kelley said. “I know our coaches have lots of lineup changes planned for the next couple of weeks so hopefully that along with a positive attitude can help us move past last weekend.”
This weekend races at Bucknell will serve as a final tune up for one of the most prestigious regattas in the country: the Dad Vail Regatta in Philadelphia.