Storrs Side: UConn’s potential exit a cause for Big East expansion

Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Big East Conference added two new members on Tuesday, with Tulane joining as a member in all sports while East Carolina will be for football only, which according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, is partially related to UConn’s potential move to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Both school are set to join in 2014. At the moment, that would mean a 13-team conference in football.

According to McMurphy, the reason for adding only two schools to bring the total to 13 is that the Big East expects either UConn or Louisville to leave for the ACC very soon.

The ACC is looking to add a new member after Maryland announced it would be leaving for the Big Ten Conference, which also added Rutgers from the Big East, sparking speculation about a UConn departure from the conference once again.

According to Jeremy Fowler of CBS Sports, the ACC, has been relatively silent about its plans since Maryland’s departure last week, and could add a 14th member this week. UConn or Louisville are the likely candidate to join the conference.

Reports suggest that both schools are looking to get out of the Big East, which has added Central Florida, Tulane, Houston, Southern Methodist and Memphis as its replacements for departing schools Syracuse, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and TCU (who officially announced they would join the Big East, but backed out to join the Big XII).

Unfortunately for either UConn or Louisville, this week’s potential decision could leave the loser looking elsewhere, as Fowler reports that the ACC have no intention at this time of expanding to 16 full members.

In order for either school to be approved for an invitation to join the conference, the presidents of the current ACC institutions must first vote to invite them with a three-fourths majority decision in favor of adding them.