Swimming and diving: UConn to host Husky Open

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 23:02

The UConn men’s swimming and diving team will host the University of Rhode Island, Boston College, Northeastern and Keene State at the UConn Husky Open this upcoming Saturday. The meet is scheduled to start at 10 a.m.

The Huskies are looking to continue their winning ways after completing a perfect 6-0 record in head-to-head dual meets this season. The Huskies have yet to lose in Storrs this season.

“Well we’ve been swimming really well away and at home,” UConn coach Bob Goldberg said. “(Wolff-Zackin) is a great pool to swim in, and the team definitely performs well there.”
The meet will be contested in a time trial format. This means that there will be no official winners or losers on the day, and no points will be awarded to the schools.

The meet will be a good way for the teams to warm up and stay in practice shape heading into conference championships, Goldberg said. UConn is looking to stay in form as they head to the American Athletic Conference Championships in Louisville, Ky. on Feb. 19.

“(The format) is advantageous to the guys, because everyone has the chance to get into a lot of swims and really test their times,” Goldberg said.

Even without a win or loss on the line, Goldberg said the swimmers will be ready. “They like swimming here and competing here,” he said.