The Pro Side: Big East Championship comes to MSG in New York

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, March 4, 2010

NCAA Basketball

Big East Championship, Saturday, March 13, 9 p.m., ESPN

The biggest question for UConn surrounding the Big East Tournament next week is: how far can the Huskies advance?
With each win in the tournament at Madison Square Garden, UConn solidifies their chances of making the NCAA Tournament. Last year, UConn lost to Syracuse in the quarterfinals of the tournament in the epic six-overtime game.

Syracuse will come into the tournament holding the No. 1 seed, while as of Thursday, Villanova will be the No. 2 seed.

NBA

Los Angeles Lakers at Orlando Magic, Sunday, March 7, 2:30, ABC

On Sunday, two of the NBA's best will go head-to-head in an inter-conference matchup.

The Lakers hold a five-and-a-half game lead for the first-place spot in the West, while Orlando is six games back from Cleveland for the number one spot in the East.

Bryant is still trying to find his groove after missing a few games with a sprained ankle, while the Magic's all-star, Dwight Howard continues to dominate the post, averaging 18.7 points, 13.1 rebounds and 2.8 blocks a game for Orlando.

Each team has won three straight games.

Washington Wizards at Boston Celtics, Sunday, March 7, 8 p.m. ESPN

At the NBA trade deadline,, the Wizards completely changed the look of their team and made it clear they're building for the future. What they did not expect was the supreme emergence of center Andray Blatche, who averaged 21 points, nine rebounds, a steal and a block per game in the month of February.

The Celtics have won two straight and have welcomed Paul Pierce back into the starting line-up after Pierce missed three games with a thumb injury.