The Pro Side: NHL Trade Deadline

Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Monday was the official trade deadline for the NHL, and while there were certainly many rumors that proved to be false, there were a few big names moving around the league. Former Flyer Jeff Carter was reunited with old teammate Mike Richards when he was traded from Columbus to LA for Jack Johnson. San Jose picked up two solid wingers in T.J. Galiardi and Daniel Winnik. Analysts seem to agree that Nashville did the best for itself in moves, picking up Andrei Kostitsyn, whose younger brother Sergei already plays for the Predators, and center Paul Gaustad from Buffalo. With the trade deadline passed, there are about 20 games remaining for most teams.

Looking Good: Nashville Predators

I have already mentioned the moves Nashville has made to bolster their roster heading down the stretch. Even prior to the trades, they have been playing some of the best hockey in the league. The Predators have gone 19-5-3 since Christmas, and the additions of the past week should help them keep up momentum. While Nashville would only get the fifth seed in the West if the playoffs started today, it's not a long shot to suggest that they could catch both Detroit and St. Louis in the standings over the rest of the season.

Having Issues: Philadelphia Flyers

Faltering for want of a solid goalie, the Flyers have slowly slipped from first to third in the Atlantic Division, behind the still-hot Rangers and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Philly did not do much in the trading sphere, although they did add Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman in January. The Flyers have the best offense in the league right now, averaging 3.3 goals a game on the season, including a 7-goal explosion against Buffalo last week. Goalies Bobrovsky and Bryzgalov have been giving up a little over 3 goals a night though. Currently a fifth seed and falling, the Flyers and coach Peter Laviolette will have to address the defensive issues if they want to remain a contender this postseason.